Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Jimmy, and today I purchased a 2002 KLR 650. I decided not to go
with the streetfighter i was working on. Payed $1200 for it. She's not the belle of the
ball, yet. i had an 84 KLR 550, a few years back. Aside from having to kickstart the pig,
i loved her. only got rid of her cuz I got a great deal on an R6. Well, here we are again,
older, and not sure if wiser. I hope to learn about my bike from all of you thumper people.
I know to get some manuals, to get me started, but I am open to ideas on how to improve
my bike, and also anything I should know about the 2002 650. The good, the bad, and the
ugly. Im mostly an in-town rider, and have no inclinations to explore the horn of Africa with
my bike. Lets just say, im not a total "*****", Im "KLR lite".

·
Registered
48 Posts
i consider my klr a great "around town" bike, i fear no curb nor pothole!

i went farkle crazy when i got mine. i'd advise others to ride 1st and discover shortcomings...

welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a question. Why is it, that they call gen1, 87-07? But I had an 84.
What gen is that?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
You didn't own a KLR650 in 1984.

If you had a 1984, one might say that you had owned a Gen1 KLR600-A1 / kick-start only model.
Then for 1985 Kawasaki built the KLR600-B1 / Electric & Kick-Start capable, which could have been called a Gen2 KLR600. Which was only sold two years in the USA, with the 1986 KLR600-B2.

Many European countries received the Electric & Kick-start KLR600-B series for several more years.

With such a short sale period in the USA no one felt the need to refer to the different Generations of 600's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, now my head is swimming. You were
Right, it was the 600. So, i have a 2002,
Is that like gen 14 or something like
That??

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
So, i have a 2002,
Is that like gen 14 or something like
That??
All KLR650-A, KLR650-B & KLR650-C models which were only sold between 1987 thru 2007 model years are considered to be the Gen 1 KLR650's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts