Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, and I have a couple of questions regarding my 2009 KLR650, which I just picked up from the dealer. The engine doesn't start in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged (stand up). I checked the switch and it is plugged in. Is there an adjustment on this switch?

Also, my throttle is sticking. I loosened up the screw that clamps the assembly to the bar and twisted it a bit. It seems better now, but not certain that was the fix.

Are these common issues? Looking forward to hanging around. :28:

What else should I be watching out for on the 2009 models?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I haven't had any problems or issues with my '09 except for the wiring harness/subframe recall.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
You could take it back to the dealer since it is under warranty.........or, fix it yerself.

No adjustment on the clutch switch. If you want to bypass just unplug it and insert a mini fuse to complete the circuit. A little filing is needed on the prongs of the fuse to go into the plug you pulled out. You can do the same on the kickstand, just follow the wires up and complete the circuit. I think I used a trailer splice.

I had a sticking throttle on my '08 and it was some dried goop that was between the metal of the handlebar and the plastic of the throttle.

You do know that grease in Japan (or Thailand as it is) is more valuable than gold? Check and re-lube your swingarm pivot and steering head bearings. Use a marine or water resistant grease. I found mine nearly devoid of lubrication.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is my first post, and I have a couple of questions regarding my 2009 KLR650, which I just picked up from the dealer. The engine doesn't start in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged (stand up). I checked the switch and it is plugged in. Is there an adjustment on this switch?

Also, my throttle is sticking. I loosened up the screw that clamps the assembly to the bar and twisted it a bit. It seems better now, but not certain that was the fix.

Are these common issues? Looking forward to hanging around. :28:

What else should I be watching out for on the 2009 models?

I would take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. I have had good luck with my 09 so far. very happy with the bike. Congrats on the new bike and welcome!!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I've had so many bad experiences with the stealerships that unless it is something catastrophic I stay away. The whole hassel of getting your bike there, leaving it for days, getting a ride home, going back to get it, find out they didn't fix it, repeat process, just doesn't work for me when I can spend an hour of my time to do it and do it right.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
My '09 runs great !!!
Plus it's black, the really good one.
I stuck on some highway pegs and tweaked
a few adjustment points on the scooter.
It's a very happy machine overall.

Don't expect the best motorcycle on the planet.
(It is though.)

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Plus......What Flash said!!

Learn your machine and avoid the dealerships when possible.
Come here for step by step stuff. If possible, get the service manual.

My SM paid for itself first day when I installed the 16t sprocket
and saves me labor $$ every time I open it.

(Plus, I KNOW I double check all my work.)

Lata,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaap

·
Registered
23 Posts
3,000 miles on my 2009 red klr , very pleased with it , no issues . paid 4,800 plus paperwork fees, what a deal ! the suzuki v strom is getting jealous, been taken out only once in the last 2 weeks !

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since you are a new owner you may need this. It is a schematic I made for the '08/09 KLRs. I cannot stand automotive schematics so I redid it into something more intuitive. It has withstood the test for accuracy for a year now. One thing you should know about it though. There is no distinction between chassis ground and the black/yellow ground wire. They are treated as the same, since electrically they are the same. It is so much easier to trouble shoot problems or determining where or how to add accessories using this schematic than the factory one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ScareCrow, love your schematic, I too totally dislike automotive wiring diagrams.

One question though. Could you explain to me what IGNITER signifies?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ScareCrow, love your schematic, I too totally dislike automotive wiring diagrams.

One question though. Could you explain to me what IGNITER signifies?

Thanks again.
The igniter is also called the CDI, it has 8 connections. So that no lines would cross over each other in the drawing the igniter was broken into 8 parts. It makes it easier to read the schematic. The igniter on the '08/09 KLR is located behind the fairing on the left side of the bike (from the ride's point of view). It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

It's not proper to call it a CDI because the KLR's ignition module is actually inductive, not capacitive. The '08/09 KLR ignition module is digital also and not like the older KLR analog/inductive igniter. The older system did not require a good charge on the battery to operate so even with a dead battery the bike could be push started. Not so with the new digital igniter. The new igniter has to have a good battery charge of about 8 volts or greater or the bike cannot even be push started (unless you can push it real damn fast). This is because it has a microprocessor in it to control the ignition timing at different RPM and the microprocessor requires a good clean voltage source to operate. The RPM is sensed by the crankshaft sensor (often called a pick up coil) located on the lower right side of the schematic with the 2 wires going into the igniter symbols. Also notice the color changes in the wires between the pick up coil and the igniter. Where ever you see a little dot it signifies a wire connection and/or a color change in a wire.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since you are a new owner you may need this. It is a schematic I made for the '08/09 KLRs. I cannot stand automotive schematics so I redid it into something more intuitive. It has withstood the test for accuracy for a year now. One thing you should know about it though. There is no distinction between chassis ground and the black/yellow ground wire. They are treated as the same, since electrically they are the same. It is so much easier to trouble shoot problems or determining where or how to add accessories using this schematic than the factory one

Thanks for the Schematic. It is very helpful. I think a tear just came to my eye. :) I also hate the factory schematics and this one has been very helpful. Thanks for the info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts