Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there KLR world. My name is Mike and I'm new to motorcycle scene. I just walked out of the dealership with a Brand New 2010 KLR 650. I was gonna get the 2011 but i got a better deal on the 2010. I drove it home and WOW a lot power this bike has. In first gear that bad boy goes. Well i was just saying hello and introducing myself. Please let in with an input i should know about the bike. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to your new addiction!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
WELCOME!
Well you started off with a good "do it all" bike. Just be careful. A LOT of guys buy a new KLR because of their reputation and hit the gravel and realize how heavy it can get when you're a new rider.
I wouldn't worry about all the "must do" mods. Just keep getting some seat time in on it and get comfortable with it. Did you get it for more rec use or commuting? Did you use the "honey think how much money it'll save us on gas" line. LOL It's a good one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WELCOME!
Well you started off with a good "do it all" bike. Just be careful. A LOT of guys buy a new KLR because of their reputation and hit the gravel and realize how heavy it can get when you're a new rider.
I wouldn't worry about all the "must do" mods. Just keep getting some seat time in on it and get comfortable with it. Did you get it for more rec use or commuting? Did you use the "honey think how much money it'll save us on gas" line. LOL It's a good one.
Hey well to make a long story short. i needed to finance something small to rebuild my credit so i was like lets give a bike a shot. So i recently sold my car and my buddies just bought a dual purpose 250's. i liked their bike but i'm bit of a bigger guy than them so i decide to go with the klr 650. Very happy so far. i only drove it for about 6 miles... So lets say I'm going to use it as a commuting bike. I might take it upstate for this 4th of July and try it out on the dirt.. :p

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello there KLR world. My name is Mike and I'm new to motorcycle scene. I just walked out of the dealership with a Brand New 2010 KLR 650. I was gonna get the 2011 but i got a better deal on the 2010. I drove it home and WOW a lot power this bike has. In first gear that bad boy goes. Well i was just saying hello and introducing myself. Please let in with an input i should know about the bike. :)
WOW… Its like Xmas morning… Mike just wait till you see how much fun 2nd gear is…. HEHEHE
Welcome

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW… Its like Xmas morning… Mike just wait till you see how much fun 2nd gear is…. HEHEHE
Welcome
HAHAHA :) Sounds great. question? Does anyone know where i can get a trunk box beside the soft one from the dealer. i need it to be hard shelled b/c i might want to put important thing in there and would hate for them to get damaged.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
check pelican case

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Welcome.

Do you have any experience on a motorcycle? Have you had any rider training? The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course is a great way to start.

I always recommend that all riders read David Hough's
it's the bible for safe riding!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
HAHAHA :) Sounds great. question? Does anyone know where i can get a trunk box beside the soft one from the dealer. i need it to be hard shelled b/c i might want to put important thing in there and would hate for them to get damaged.

I've got the large JC Whitney Travel Trunk it will hold a large helmet with other stuff. The link doesn't take you to the trunk's page for some reason have to use the search.

Best thing for us KLR riders is that it's cheap 'cause that's how we roll.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope my first motorcycle period. i have an idea of riding. Im taking my permit soon then taking one of those courses you have mentioned. I also just bought that book off my kindle. Let see things happen..:animal0019:

Do you have a part #? ALSO was it hard to mount it onto the bike? DIY anywhere?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts

Here is a YouTube video describing the Sears / JC Whitney trunk. The KLR 650 used in this video is a Gen I KLR 650, while yours is a Gen II. The video should give you an idea of what to expect from this trunk, mounting, size in relation the bike, etc.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
There's a quick removable one on the J.C. Whitney site too.

J.C. Whitney SKU Number: 1JA 013068

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Hey is anyone sure that Sears sells this? I want to go there today but not finding it on their website. :(
http://auto.sears.com/automotiveparts/2010969p.htm

The links to JC Whitney and Sears don't seem to work here right now......

Copy the above address, open a new browser window, paste in the address, it will take you to the trunks...

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Hey that link doesn't seem to be working.
The link isn't working. Need to treat it as an address, rather than a link. If you highlight either of the following addresses, right click your mouse, copy the address

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx

OR

http://auto.sears.com/automotiveparts/17s15j14603c.htm

Open a new window, and place your cursor in the search feature, right click your mouse, click "paste", it should take you to the location.

I just tried it on two different computers and it's taking me there on both....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the site. Read some of the forums material. You will find many folks here willing to help you! Where are you located?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts