Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm brand new to klr's. Been riding my whole life but dual sport is new to me. I've got a 13 with around 1800 miles on it and its getting close to time for new tires. I ride 95% of my time on road, however, the 5% I want to go off road, I really get into. Deep mud, pretty decent climbs. I ride the thing like a dirt bikes basically. I love the look of a good knobby tire, and the fact that i can ride well off road, but longevity is a big concern for me.

I need help with a tire. Id rather not have to change it every 1500 miles, because i just dont have money to spend on tires every 2 months or so.
Was thinking about shinko 705's... how big can i go on the rear with a tire like that and still have clearance? Anyone have other suggestions?

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
If longevity is a concern a knobby tire isn't what you want. For what you describe you may be best outfitted with another set of wheels with knobbies for that 5% of off road requirement.

I've run the Shinko 705 and it's an alright tire. For the same money though I prefer the Kenda 761 which will outlast the Shinko by quite a bit in my experience.

Use the Forum Search feature and you'll find similar threads about tires.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Disclaimer: I do this but legally it's not safe.

Dumpster diving!!! Specifically the tire recycling rack. I go at nite but EVERY
dealership I asked if I could grab a couple of tires to make a swing they letcha
have them and don't have to pay a disposal fee. Notice you can buy used car tires
but not motorcycles? Liability issues. The reason I go at night is so I can shop for
the best one's and inspect every inch of it to make sure it has no broken belts or
punctures. The employees will know they are losing a sale if they are there and see
you checking sizes and amount of wear. I've even had a cop or two roll up on me
and there has never been a problem. It's no different than the aluminum can guys
going around doing the same thing. Told the cops It's my night off, and I have permission
to sift thru the garbage. Since they are free I run full knobbies of hard compound.
The Michelin T-63's on there now grab wonderfully on and off road but are as soft
as pencil erasers. I have non DOT Maxxis going on next with hard knobs. The rear
has over a half life left in it.

Just an alternate point of view and excactly why I'm the Cheapster around this place. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Disclaimer: I do this but legally it's not safe.

I go at nite but EVERY dealership I asked if I could grab a couple of tires to make a swing they letchahave them and don't have to pay a disposal fee.

LOL
I think it's the customer that pays the disposal fee. The shop just passes it on.
When I bought a new KLR this year they tacked on the disposal fee for the 2 tires that came on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
....and they never get charged for it as they are missing from the rack.
Good business. LOL I never even thought of how we all pay anyway.
The dealer should give me three bucks for every tire I run. Wouldn't that
be the coolest?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Tires

Alright guys, I'm brand new to klr's. Been riding my whole life but dual sport is new to me. I've got a 13 with around 1800 miles on it and its getting close to time for new tires. I ride 95% of my time on road, however, the 5% I want to go off road, I really get into. Deep mud, pretty decent climbs. I ride the thing like a dirt bikes basically. I love the look of a good knobby tire, and the fact that i can ride well off road, but longevity is a big concern for me.

I need help with a tire. Id rather not have to change it every 1500 miles, because i just dont have money to spend on tires every 2 months or so.
Was thinking about shinko 705's... how big can i go on the rear with a tire like that and still have clearance? Anyone have other suggestions?
Last year I put a new Kenda K270 on front of my 2011.
It made my front end bounce up & down. I bought a second one from different source with same results. Both were sent back and I ended up with a Mitas E-07 front tire. It's smooth as glass now.

Last week, my son put Kenda K270's on both front & back. His front end bounces the same as mine did. He has a Honda XR650L.

Just my experience. FWIW

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Have used Kenda K270s on KLR650 and KLR250 (3.25-21 front; 5.10-17 rear) for full mileage; never noticed any excessive "bouncing" (about 15 psi off-road, 30 psi on pavement).

A versatile 50/50 tire, IMHO; never had any problems at my level of daring on pavement, but from reports, I was concerned about folding knobs during hard cornering.

Regardless, I'm satisfied with the overall performance, given my riding environment and style. Besides, they are most affordable.

Other tires used: Kenda Trakmaster II; Continental Trail Attacks. The Trakmaster is surprisingly versatile for a knobby (although expect wear on pavement), while the Trail Attack, although billed as a "dual-sport" tire, seems awfully pavement-biased, to me. Haven't taken 'em off-road much, but . . . they are an EXCELLENT pavement tire.

My perceptions only; YMMV! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts