Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the cheap small trunk from J.C. Whitney. I could have just as easily used a cooler or a tool box or a tackle box but I wanted something with the rounded corner that looked like it is part of a motorcycle.

Rather than use the universal mounting kit they supply I simply removed the plastic insert from the luggage rack and drilled four holes in the insert and the base of the trunk. Using this method I was able to set the trunk far enough back that the wee little tool kit it still usable. I mainly use that tiny tool kit to hold my insurance card and registration.

I cannot comment on the universal mounting kit which gives you the option of removing the trunk and carrying it around with you.

The base of the trunk is blessedly flat so you can mate it to the plastic insert of the KLR650 luggage rack if that suits your purpose as it did mine. I do not anticipate a crime wave of lawless thugs breaking into motorcycle luggage so I will just leave my kit in the trunk. If somebody needs a GPS and a .380 that bad they can have them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried the cheap small trunk from J.C. Whitney. I could have just as easily used a cooler or a tool box or a tackle box but I wanted something with the rounded corner that looked like it is part of a motorcycle.

Rather than use the universal mounting kit they supply I simply removed the plastic insert from the luggage rack and drilled four holes in the insert and the base of the trunk. Using this method I was able to set the trunk far enough back that the wee little tool kit it still usable. I mainly use that tiny tool kit to hold my insurance card and registration.

I cannot comment on the universal mounting kit which gives you the option of removing the trunk and carrying it around with you.

The base of the trunk is blessedly flat so you can mate it to the plastic insert of the KLR650 luggage rack if that suits your purpose as it did mine. I do not anticipate a crime wave of lawless thugs breaking into motorcycle luggage so I will just leave my kit in the trunk. If somebody needs a GPS and a .380 that bad they can have them.
So far, I like this topcase. I used the mounting kit, but moved it back just enough so I could access the tool kit if I needed to. I may upgrade when cash becomes plentiful, but until then, it'll be getting a lot of use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a serviceable pair of US Army Military Issue 30mm ammo cans to utilize as "El Cheapo" saddlebags/panniers. They're not light by any means but they're rugged...OG Green of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts