·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have an 08. Haven't put it on yet, but it will fit (99% sure). I'll be putting it on in the next week or so and let y'all know.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My folks are in town starting today, so it may be a few days. Or my Dad and I might do it tomm. I'll keep you posted. :16a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. We have a four month old, so my folks are in grandparent heaven. I haven't put it on yet, but I looked at it yesterday. It will fit with minor modification. I think it might fit the pre-08's straight up, but two of the holes don't quite match up on mine. Nothing that a round file can't fix. I am basically mechanically inept, and I have no doubt we will get that bad boy on and secure.

I'll post a pic and report when I get it done. Sorry for the delay...seems like no one but me thinks putting the trunk on is that important. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks man. Yeah, I still find time to ride (I commute so that helps). And sometimes I take the...uhh...scenic route home. :23a: Fishing...been too long since I've been fishing. ;)

Put the trunk on tonight. Too dark to take pics, but will tomm. Here's the deal. I think if I had an older KLR the mount holes would have matched up perfect. As it is, the front attached perfect with the bolts provided. I could have drilled it out and made it work for the back attachment, but the hardware store was closed and the provided bolts would not have worked, so I used zip ties in the back, but it is on there solid. Doubt I'll ever change it.

Pics will make it make more sense, but I would buy it again. Stoked to have it and a good size...not too wide. I doubt anyone would be disappointed if they got one.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picture

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will be putting heftier zip ties on. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just a suggestion.

Mount a piece of plywood to the KLR rack. Drill four holes in the plywood and get longer bolts. Then mount the plastic base to the plywood by drilling four holes. Paint the plywood before you start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
that is totally awesome, do you have any pictures of the whole setup, i am sorry you are so busy with everything but just wondering. Thar is so cool man, what a good save.!!!!:11a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. ;)

I'm going to put better zipties on tomm and I'll take a pic of the new setup and one with the trunk on.

Tifford...a good suggestion, but I just ain't got the time. Plus, the way it is now seems kind of fitting for the KLR. :character00201:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pics of trunk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Travel Trunk...

Thanks for the info....Still trying to decide if im gonna put all the luggage on my bike. post a pic once u get it on...:18:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
huh? I'm confused. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Just a warning from the past. This box used to be offered by JCW ($35) and many of us bought them. Mine mounted like it was made for my KLR and it held the right amount of day goodies.
My first ride with the box: rode about 40 miles on the road then turned on a gravel road that was washboarded. After about three miles I felt something hit my back...it was the box. Luckily I had a bungy and I secured it for the ride home.
Shortly after I did my report on .net another purchaser reported his did the same thing but he did not know when it broke. He searched and never found the box with his wallet, camera, tools, etc... you get the picture.
I contacted JCW and discovered they had no problem replacing the box but did not have the replacement part for the broken plastic latch. Maybe a $.10 item. Many people reported this problem. I sold mine after recieving the replacement box.
When I saw NewEnough was elling these I sent them a warning email with this story. I have not heard of any of these boxes breaking and hopefully the foreign company(s) that make these cured the problem.
This is a very nice day box but if it was me installing the box I would carry a bungee inside. Then if it was me I would spend the money on a Pelican 1550 and a lock or two.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts