Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2005 klr650. Replaced the starter relay and got it turning over nicely. Also had to re-sauder behind start button itself.

Got a new petcock with only one gravity port. Cleaned carb thoroughly including both jets.

Blocked off vacuum port on top of carb with metal disk and jb weld.

Now, no gas will enter carb when connected. I have tried tanks off of my Suzuki dr650 and 350 as well just to make sure there is no problems near fuel tank.

So why wont gravity fed enter carb? There must be some air issue or some issue near where gas tube connects to carb.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ghetto bears ride club hawaii

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I'll guess that possibly you set the float height of the carb, with the carburetor completely upside-down.
It is supposed to measured with the carb held sideways and the float just barely touching the spring loaded float needle.

I'll suggest that the float bowl is pushing/holding the float needle closed.

And do not cap the upper LH plastic nipple of the carb. That is the float bowl atmospheric VENT, it needs an open hose dangling near the shock spring.

Reactions: pablo.gyds03

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Assume manually-opening petcock installed. If fuel flows with petcock ON (fuel line disconnected temporarily to view fuel flow), then . . . click here: Carb Overhaul

If fuel does not flow from tank with petcock ON, then . . . bad petcock and/or obstruction in fuel line. See if fuel tank cap open or closed makes a difference; clogged vent could cause problems.

Hope the hurricane does you no harm! No one wants to ride a KLR in 90 miles-per-hour winds!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pdwestman I think you hit the proverbial needle on the head there.

I'm going to watch that second video and adjust the float needle with more precision since thats where gas enters the carb.

Will Report back

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
A modest question: Will your bike run on STARTING FLUID? The answer may help determining whether the problem is fuel delivery or presence of combustible mixture (starting fluid remains DEFINITELY combustible!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep boys and girls, I got it running today. This is the first time this baby has run in 2 years since the last owner left it sitting in a field with the peacock on the whole time. (And no seafoam in tank).

Woo! I'm hoping the modest tank cleanup and inline fuel filter are enough to keep this rust from entering the carb. I might have to use red-kote.

The problem turned out to be the float needle didnt have those top tiny hooks on the float itself so the needle wasn't moving it around to let gas in.

All in all:
-Checked all electrical connections and replaced fuses
-cleaned tank and carb
-new petcock conversion to gravity fed
-new starter relay
-saudered orange wire back together behind starter button
-cleaned carb again and properly set float

Running now. It only has 15k miles for Christ's sake!

Thanks y'all

Ghetto bears ride club hawaii

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Congratulation,; Ghettobears, on your successful maintenance issue resolution! Looks like pdwestman has AGAIN correctly diagnosed (by remote control) a real-world KLR problem!

Give pdwestman thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many Thanks pdwestman. I'll send ya some avocadoes in the mail here from the big island.

Afterthoughts on a rusty tank:

Is an inline fuel filter enough? Will I clog up my carb once I start riding it?

I cleaned most out with muriatic acid but man this tank is a rust bucket.

I havent ridden this baby yet (just turned it on) because my girl is "borrowing" my clutch cable for her Vulcan 😡

1 - 10 of 10 Posts