Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 KLR. The previous owner told me the high beam didnt work and he thought it was the bulb. I changed the bulb and found out thats not the problem. I checked the switch and got power to both sides of the switch just no power to the light socket.

Was wondering if there is a fuse or relay between these two points?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
517 Posts
First, check the fuses. Also, the 2008 had a recall for chaffing at the wire loom near the neck of the frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm hoping I dont have to tear into it that far but if I do that looks like a good place to start. I'm still leaning towards a relay since it doesnt seem to be shorting out or burning the bulb out atleast. I noticed 3 what appear to be relays across the front when I pulled the front fairing off. Do you know if maybe one of those is for the lights?.. Also does the low beam go off when you switch to high beam?

by the way I'm located in Ar

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm hoping I dont have to tear into it that far but if I do that looks like a good place to start. I'm still leaning towards a relay since it doesnt seem to be shorting out or burning the bulb out atleast. I noticed 3 what appear to be relays across the front when I pulled the front fairing off. Do you know if maybe one of those is for the lights?.. Also does the low beam go off when you switch to high beam?

by the way I'm located in Ar

One of them is a turn signal relay/flasher. I don't remember the other ones but they are probably available at an auto parts store (vs. going to the stealership!) If they are the same try swapping them. Also you may be able to hear them switch if they're electomechanical type.

The low beam never goes off, both lights are on when the high beam is switched in.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't think any are relays for the high beams, I don't think the high beam uses a relay, I'm pretty sure it just uses the switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts