Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a '07 klr 650 when i use my gerbings jacket and gloves the battery goes dead after an hour of riding. i found a new stator but it is 400 bucks anything work the same for cheaper?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would check the basics first, like battery terminals tight.
Before I bought a stator I would check the charge rate at the battery with a DC volt meter. if that is not at 14.5v then I would check alternator output with an AC volt meter, rectifier/regulator with an ohmmeter, connectors, fuses, etc. instead of throwing $400 chunks at it.
If you were riding at low rpm it may not make enough to sustain battery charge, but over about 3k rpm should be making voltage.

I don't know how much ampherage those electric items draw. I think the klr has a pretty healthy output though and should handle it.

There are stator hopper-uppers out there such as Baja Designs of which I am a dealer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Did you check you voltage at the battery with a voltmeter? If that is good and your using too much wattage, heres a 280 stator at http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/ for $154 and type in MONTHLY SPECIAL for free shipping

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I do know the 07's and older only have a reserve of about 70 watts. I would think the jacket and gloves are over taxing the electrical system. The newer 08's have a higher output stator designed to run a few electrical items like heated grips and or maybe a vest.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check the out-put as suggested......I only run a vest .... so I have not really put a load on the battery on my 2006.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey, thanks everybody, I had the local kawy shop check the output and it was around 13.8 and when i plugged the jacket and gloves in it went to 12.4. the gloves take 27 watts and the jacket a woppin 77 watts.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Go buy yourself a basic voltmeter at Harbor freight.com or sears from $9.99 to $50. and you won't have to leave the house.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2002 KLR650. It has a bigger battery and headlight bulb. I added two 55 watt lights and it was drawing too much, so we added a bigger stator (supposedly one that would put out 250 watts). It still isn't charging correctly so I am looking for a better rectifier. Help! Any recommendations?

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
reply to "no juice"

Sorry for the confusion.
I was referring to the possibilities of having the stator rewound for higher wattage output. However I have since inquired at Baja Designs and they do not rewind KLR stators. They say that bike has better than average output and should handle some extra load from accessories.

·
Registered
19 Posts
stator replacements

Apparently ElectraSport is having some troube with their stator manufacturer. They are taking the 400 watt model out of production. I received a faulty 250 watt stator and am hoping to replace it with one that is not specifically wired for the KLR. I'll let you know how that goes. JAB :mad0235:

·
Registered
562 Posts
My 2009 died after I hooked up Gerbings gloves and jacket liner. I was under the impression that this version could handle this. Apparently not. I have not yet gotten around to checking my battery or alternator. Just too damn cold in my garage. I think the bike also killed the temp controller as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts