Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
You'd think that a government would WANT a vehicle that gets about 50 miles per gallon, because that means lower emissions per mile - unless somehow a KLR emits as much from its tailpipe as a mid-size sedan per mile traveled...

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
They'll just put the Versys engine into the KLR frame.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, perhaps a dumb question here, but why is switching to fuel injection such a bad thing? I can see them asking a bit more for the KLR but wouldn't having EFI make the bike a bit better too? Especially here in the mountains where elevation changes really take the piss out of the engine.
I know the purists will want to keep to easy mainenance but for a large majority, EFI would be a good improvement - no?
Hey even Harley and BMW have had to adapt to changes like liquid cooling....

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Fuel injection would make the bike better. But it will cost more, be more complicated, and be harder to work on.
One of the biggest benefits of the KLR is low cost and ease of working on it.
If the cost goes up too much then the KLR starts to have competition.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I can see Kawasaki discontinuing the KLR altogether if they have to fuel inject it. They already have that technology in place in a 650 engine. They'll design a new bike around it and yes it will cost more.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fuel injection would make the bike better. But it will cost more, be more complicated, and be harder to work on.
One of the biggest benefits of the KLR is low cost and ease of working on it.
If the cost goes up too much then the KLR starts to have competition.
Ya I hear ya! The reason I bought my KLR initially was the price point. However, I think a little competition would be a good thing for the KLR. I believe it was a lack of competition that allowed Kawi to leave the bike alone for over 20 years and only upgrade it when other manufacturers started knocking on the door.
Perhaps, if they have to play in the same sandbox with some of the others, they'll be forced to bring the design up to date. Kawasaki has proven they have some brilliant, reliable motorcycles and top shelf products. Theres no reason we should still be lamenting doohickeys and barely adjustable suspension on this forum. This is Kawasaki, not Ural.
IMHO

·
Registered
527 Posts
Emission control laws in South Africa will end imports of new KLR's
Can governmenf stuff up such a good thing, or what?
Sad state of affairs:banghead:
Bummer to hear. Buy as many as you can now because the used market will probably boom down the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You'd think that a government would WANT a vehicle that gets about 50 miles per gallon, because that means lower emissions per mile - unless somehow a KLR emits as much from its tailpipe as a mid-size sedan per mile traveled...
Actually, yes - many motorcycles do pollute more per mile than your average car. Has been that way for some time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts