Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

well i parted my xr 650L and my KX 500 and bought myself a 2006 klr with 1600 miles on it.

Apart from the alu skid plate and tall wind shield it is bone stock.

would like a fmf q4 exhaust, fork brace, progressive spring, possibly rejet and air filter?

If i want to spend 1000$ in mods. are those the one to do?

Is the fmf Q4 a good choice ( power wise) don t really care about the noise.

I want a pipe that does not stick out to long, the fmf seemed short to me?

any help will be great.

thanks and happy to join you guys.:28:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Farkles are a personal choice, but I do recommend that you replace the Doohickey as soon as you can.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
As far as adding power to a KLR I don't think you'll accomplish a whole lot with a muffler and jetting. As the ol' saying goes - "There's no replacement for displacement."
What you want to do with it determines where you spend your farkle money.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
You can add some kick and instant throttle response by doing the "22 cent mod".
Also turning out the idle screw 2-3 turns depending on your altitude. No jet
kit is necessary. Those aren't the lean spots where the EPA tests. That's at
idle and 3,000 rpm cruise, which are affected by the idle screw and washers under the
vac-needle sitting down in the main jet.
A KLX needle accomplishes the same thing, as does a 94-98 HD Sporster needle.
Just to be safe at WOT, I jetted up on the main, but that was overkill and not
really needed. I don't spend much time at full crank, so mileage is still around 50 when
I baby it to work and around town.
An aftermarket exhaust isn't needed until more cc's or headwork is utilized. I drilled
some holes in the stocker and intake box for better flow and that's all these things
need in stock trim.

Have fun and ride the crap out of it. LOL
CheapMark

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Fred, welcome to KLRforum and your new to you '06. Is it a Greenie?

Read, read, read!

-Sounds like you really want to add an aftermarket exhaust. That is the most expensive and least effective. The stock exhaust sounds wimpy but it will do all you need all the way through a 685 kit.

-If you want to spend $450 purchase and install a 685 kit and you will see the most for bang for your buck you will ever experience with a KLR.

-Eagle Doohickey with Torsion spring as soon as possible.

Handling:
-Eagle fork brace, new fork oil set at 180mm-170mm, MotoWizard Preload Adjusters, Progressive springs, either Ricor Fork Valves or Racetech Gold Valves.
-Adjust steering stem.
-Set the sag.
-Tires and Tire pressure.
-Adjust the rear shock Preload and Rebound.

Check your gas mileage before you start making changes. Make as few changes at one times as possible. Your gas milesage will tell you if all is well.

Engine:
-UNI air cleaner.
-Adjust the valves.
-22 cent mod. Start with one #4 stainless steel washer.
-Adjust the pilot jet screw 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 turns.
-Remove the Air Intake Grommet (BaaWaa factor).
-PCV mod.

Loosen and re-torque Everything.

This should get you started.

Oh, and a KLR is not a HD. Stick to KLR proven mods.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Welcome Fredodito, "don t really care about the noise."
Others on this planet may, just sayin'.
And many of those that care tend to loudly complain to those that make new rules that affect all of us..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) guys guys (M. DonD) lets relax here I'm not talking about a strait pipe Harley... I'm talking about a KLR with a aftermarket pipe... ?????!!!!!!!

Anyway for those that replied with useful info thanks very much i can use every little bit of it, you guys are great.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Ever hear one of the aftermarket pipes? Or put it this way.. Ever NOT hear one??

Do as you wish, as it's your bike.. Just remember that you're actions affects us all.. I know you're not talking about one of the "Lifestyle" jokes that typically arrives on a loud Harley, but we all get bunched together in the eyes of a non-motorcyclist.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I apologize again for mentioning HD parts, Tomato. If one mics
the Sporster needle and KLX needle they will measure the same. Just mentioning
things that can help all of us out. Someone had to try DR footpegs to see if
they worked as a proven KLR mod, and the Keihn CV40 is run by many manufacturers
including both Kaw and Harley. Many of the internals match. Some don't. Please be more
open minded towards my few but workable ideas. There's HD dealers all over the place,
many more than our beloved Kaw shoppes. I would never mention anything that doesn't
fit or work. The diaphram is too thick to be lifted by one cylinder effectively
and I won't tell anyone to run it. Needles are interchangeable. I promise.

Sorry again if I offended.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Why shouldn't we mention HD parts? Lots of folks got lots of parts in or on their bikes from other bikes. Isn't that part of the point of this? "KLR proven mods" - I'm surprised you can even type that with a straight face.

Mark, you apologize because you are a gentleman, but there's no ban on talking about HD parts here and if there is, well, I'll leave with you. Absurd.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
No disrespect to Eagle Mike. He was cool to me. But the EM doo, forkbrace, and everything else you're shilling wasn't a proven KLR mod til someone tried it. Seriously dude.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Hey Girls great response(s). Panties in a bunch about something!

My post about HD was about tires. Cheap remember your HD tire test.

Now lets see if we can respond to the authors needs.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
My bad. Worked great on the street, total washout offroad. It was a farce in the rough. Not too many people would run a V-Rod front on a KLR rear turned around backwards. Not too many smart one's anyway. Bead was too wide, but hooked up and wheelied well. LOL Came off a day later.

Also on the HD "not to's": Jets. Larger American sized threads. Go to a Japanese shoppe.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Hey Girls great response(s). Panties in a bunch about something!

My post about HD was about tires. Cheap remember your HD tire test.

Now lets see if we can respond to the authors needs.
He didn't mention tires. That was another thread. My panties aren't in a bunch. I just don't dig hypocrisy much.

BTW, you said proven mods. So, I don't think you were referring to tires.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
He didn't mention tires. That was another thread. My panties aren't in a bunch. I just don't dig hypocrisy much.

BTW, you said proven mods. So, I don't think you were referring to tires.
I apologize for having to beat this misunderstanding to death.

LJ, please read my original post. You will notice it was not a response to Cheaps post. I rarely read Cheaps posts. I did not tell anyone they could not post anything.

Read my post and then read Cheaps, yours and Papers posts. The three of you seem to be having your own exagerated conversation. Do you guys text each other? I was referring to Cheaps experiement with HD tires and a KLR. Go ahead and read my the post. Did it say anything about Cheaps post. Did the three of you over react, I beleive so.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Well, we did all three meet up after gym class and compare notes and attack tactics.

Methinks you protest a bit too much. I just reread the whole thing. Remember, I am smart. You said so yourself. Just for kicks, explain to me how saying "Oh, and a KLR is not a HD. Stick to KLR proven mods." when the only HD related thing mentioned in the thread is the sportster needle doesn't make it a response to the assertion that a HD needle can be used. No one was talking about tires.

And like usual, we may be arguing a point, but only one person is taking cheap shots and it ain't Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Tim,
Your post read that you were talking about mods, not tires, and to stay with proven KLR mods, not HD..

Feel free to lie to us, and call us names all you wish.. Keep that up, and I'm sure Glenn will have a position open for you at his website, too.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Fred, welcome to KLRforum and your new to you '06. Is it a Greenie?

Read, read, read!

-Sounds like you really want to add an aftermarket exhaust. That is the most expensive and least effective. The stock exhaust sounds wimpy but it will do all you need all the way through a 685 kit.

-If you want to spend $450 purchase and install a 685 kit and you will see the most for bang for your buck you will ever experience with a KLR.

-Eagle Doohickey with Torsion spring as soon as possible.

Handling:
-Eagle fork brace, new fork oil set at 180mm-170mm, MotoWizard Preload Adjusters, Progressive springs, either Ricor Fork Valves or Racetech Gold Valves.
-Adjust steering stem.
-Set the sag.
-Tires and Tire pressure.
-Adjust the rear shock Preload and Rebound.

Check your gas mileage before you start making changes. Make as few changes at one times as possible. Your gas milesage will tell you if all is well.

Engine:
-UNI air cleaner.
-Adjust the valves.
-22 cent mod. Start with one #4 stainless steel washer.
-Adjust the pilot jet screw 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 turns.
-Remove the Air Intake Grommet (BaaWaa factor).
-PCV mod.

Loosen and re-torque Everything.

This should get you started.

Oh, and a KLR is not a HD. Stick to KLR proven mods.[/QUOTE]

Rear Shock

There are five Compression settings. The adjustment bolt can be found on the leftside top of the shock. You need a 3/8" ratchet, 12mm socket, 6" extention. Always rotate the bolt clockwise. The setting can vary per preference, style and load.

There are four Rebound settings. The adjustments can be found on the rightside bottom of the shock covered by a small piece of plastic. The usual settings are either #2 or #3.

Forks

Do yourself a favor and purchase MotoWizard Preload Adjusters. The drain the fork oil and refill with ATF to a level of 170cm from the top of the fork tube. The preload adjusters make a big difference when setting up your KLR. You can adjust them by stopping, loosen(uncompress) or tighten(compress) the adjuster til you find what is good for you. You can make these simple adjustments before and after going off-road.
Do a search on the forums and you will find many opinions and they are all correct, for the author. Read and experiment is my suggestion.

Hope this helps.
Uh, well, no. It doesn't.

These two quoted posts seem to contradict each other.

It is difficult to conform when there is conflicting statements from "management".

If it is discovered that a component or setting from another application [another motorcycle, etc.] benefits the KLR 650, how could it be considered bad form to report those findings in detail here on this forum to the benefit of other members? Threads under the heading of "How To's & Tech Guides" and "Wrenching & Mods" would imply a willingness to explore possibilities, of course with the Caveat Emptor, proceed at your own risk. This would include both successes and disappointments. We can learn from others mistakes, and
benefit from the successes.

It seems to me that some of us have an innate internal desire to improve our lot. Many have found that exploring the means of change is easier and more productive if it is done with an open mind.

Truthfully, without that open minded exploration for improvement we as a species would be still eating grubs and selecting our mates with a club. Gratefully, I was born into a family that has evolved a bit from that level of existence.

So, what is it? Is there a certain level of comfort that is followed on this forum regarding modification? And is that comfort level determined by who manufactured the modification components?

Is there a set bar of mechanical comprehension that shall not be exceeded here?

And, I may as well throw this in the mix, too. Is there a "preferred vendor list", whereas mention of those deemed the Anti Christ shall have you banished to the Land of Nod, East of Eden? Or am I free to state that I found valve shims at a third of usual cost from a non worshiped source?

The thought just crossed my mind that this whole spiel could be compared to going to great lengths to acquire specific accommodations on a cruise ship.

That is sinking.

I'm not fishing or baiting a response from the person responsible for these posts. I am trying to get my fingers on the pulse of the contributing members here, that do have have an interest in hands on improvements of their rides.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts