Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a battery charge, the bike fired up and ran like a charm. Shut it down, then hooked the charger back up to just maintain charge level. Battery is a non-OEM gel battery.

Came back a few days later, disconnected charger, which still indicated a full charge. But when I turned the ignition key, nothing lit up, no idiot lights, no horn, no lights -- just completely dead.

The first thing I checked were the fuses at the battery. Both are clearly OK. (?) Even if the clutch isn't engaged or the kickstand up, it should still show power when the ignition is turned on, right?

So now what? Are there other fuses to check? Could the ignition switch be bad? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rich

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Check your battery connections and the ground. Are you sure the battery is actually charged. Can you meter it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse replaced with new - no change.
Battery terminals are clean, bolts tight, cables tight.

However, even at full charge indicated by my Battery Tender charger, the readings I'm getting on the VOM are:
Volts = 8.4v
Amps = 6.5

Not good?

·
Administrator
8,365 Posts
Fuse replaced with new - no change.
Battery terminals are clean, bolts tight, cables tight.

However, even at full charge indicated by my Battery Tender charger, the readings I'm getting on the VOM are:
Volts = 8.4v
Amps = 6.5

Not good?
Bad. Quite bad. What sort of charger was this?

If it was a regular car charger or a 2 amp charger, leaving it on that long cooked the battery. Some gel type batteries require a charger designed for gel cell batteries.

My experience is that once a battery has been overcharged, there's not a lot of hope in bringing it back.

Tom

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Your battery is shorted out. Time for a new one. I just had a 7 month old battery go belly up on me during my morning commute a couple of weeks ago. I had to push start it to get home in the afternoon. The battery was showing 12.7 volts before I started it to head for work. Put in on the analizer charger and showed a fault with barely 10 volts. What really sucked is the battery only had a 6 month warranty. $80 in the toilet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use a "Battery Tender Junior" [email protected] It's designed for motorcycle batteries, has an automatic shut-off when full charge is reached, then switches back on if volts drop below peak.

So I don't think there is a chance of overcharging.

Also, the battery was allowed to go dead for several months. Don't know if that matters on a 5 year old gel battery?

·
Administrator
8,365 Posts
Photon-

You're right, that shouldn't have overcharged it.

That is was allowed to go dead and is 5 years old is telling, though.

I have to agree with SLO-KLR's assessment.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts