Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was on the way home about halfway through my 45 mile commute and all of a sudden I've got no speedo and then I realize I don't have an odometer either.

When I get home I checked it out and noticed my speedometer cable has a nice crack/break in it...not all the way through though. My question is; does this speedometer cable also work the odometer (because that isn't working either) and is it ok to ride the bike while i'm waiting for the new cable to come in? I'm not gonna cause any damage to anything right?

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh yes, it's just fine to ride without it. I put on 6,500 miles on mine when the speedo broke on Day 3 of a 40 day trip :35a: Of course it's a lot harder to track your mileage/tank range without one... :(

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Check your attachment to the back of the speedo. Mine used to vibrate itself out on occasion.. Loctite was the cure.. Make sure the outside nut is screwed in all the way up. If it's loose, you'll know right away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your attachment to the back of the speedo. Mine used to vibrate itself out on occasion.. Loctite was the cure.. Make sure the outside nut is screwed in all the way up. If it's loose, you'll know right away.

Will do...I did notice a crack in the cable too, so looks like either way I will be replacing the cable...but if I can get it working until the new one comes in that would be great.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Will do...I did notice a crack in the cable too, so looks like either way I will be replacing the cable...but if I can get it working until the new one comes in that would be great.
With the crack, you might have a cable that's rusted and broken, but it never hurts to check the ends..

Actually, while you're at it, unscrew the top, tip your bike back on the side stand so the front tire is off the ground and spin the front wheel.. See if your cable is spinning.. The end is square and easy to see if it's moving.:)

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Don't forget to check the front hub speedometer housing. If the interlocking mechanism for the speedometer gear wasn't properly matched up the last time the wheel was off, it may have finally lost the ability to drive the gear. The tabs on the speedometer cable are rather weak, and will bend when mated up to the wheel hub, if the slot and tabs are not lined up. I have found this to be more common than bad cables. Sometimes the speedometer / odometer won't work at all if not properly assembled. Sometimes they will work for a while. YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm, I'm worried that I might have matched mine up wrong while putting the tire on last time. Does this mean I have the cable tabs in the hub housing, or do I just need to re-align the tabs in the housing?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Hmm, I'm worried that I might have matched mine up wrong while putting the tire on last time. Does this mean I have the cable tabs in the hub housing, or do I just need to re-align the tabs in the housing?
You might try pulling the wheel back off and take a looky see at the speedometer tabs. They should be flat. If the wheel was mounted without lining up on the tabs to the inlets, the tabs may have bent back and need to be beat flat again. Re-align and ride!

Before you let the bike down, spin the wheel to ensure you have the alignment right.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you didn't strip the hub side where the tabs fit in you should be able to simply fit the tabs into the groove and bend it as necessary. I had my hub strip out a few years ago and it took forever to get it repaired, yes repaired. Thankyou Holycaveman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts