Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No crank thread

I’m restoring another year 2000 M1030B1 (USMC KLR650). I’m almost done but can’t get the bike to crank. Nothing happens when I hit the start button. I was able to get it to crank by bridging the starter relay with pliers. I figured I’d just swap some parts off a running KLR to make it easy. I don’t have a multimeter with me since I’m working out of a storage locker but it looks like I’ll be getting one. Below is what I’ve swapped out from the running bike
Start switch / engine kill switch
Both fuses
Starter relay
Starter circuit relay
Battery
The bike will shift into gear and neutral (the neutral light comes on). Turning on the ignition does activate the headlight. I just installed the whole wiring harness so the next step is to double check for tight connections and clean them. Then I figure I’ll look into changing the ignition, CDI, and diodes. Prior to that I’ll clean the clutch safety / starter lock out switch. I’ve found that I tend to over think things so I assume I’m missing something obvious. Any ideas? I’ll update tomorrow when I get more time trouble shooting the bike.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wound up jumping the switch at the wiring harness and it cranked right away. I’ve had to clean corrosion from these before but never had one go bad. This is a perfect example of starting with the basics first. I thought it was fine and started down a trouble shooting hole.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts