Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a KLR off craigslist a few weeks ago in pretty rough shape, however the owner said It had run fine about a year ago and had just been sitting. I rebuilt the carb using an all balls kit and put in a new battery, spark plug and fresh gas to see if it it'll start. No luck. It seems like its getting gas from the tank as I see gas in the fuel filter. It could potentially be the air fuel screw, as I forgot to note where it was positioned I started rebuilding. Any advice as to what/how I can trouble shoot would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked up a KLR off craigslist a few weeks ago in pretty rough shape, however the owner said It had run fine about a year ago and had just been sitting. I rebuilt the carb using an all balls kit and put in a new battery, spark plug and fresh gas to see if it it'll start. No luck. It seems like its getting gas from the tank as I see gas in the fuel filter. It could potentially be the air fuel screw, as I forgot to note where it was positioned I started rebuilding. Any advice as to what/how I can trouble shoot would be greatly appreciated.
It also seemed like someone did part of a 22 cent mod. I couldn't tell if the side hole was drilled out any wider, but there was a single washer under the needle.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
When faced with a "WON'T START" engine that I don't know the history of, I start with the essentials - fuel/air, spark, compression all at the right time and the right mixture.

First easy test. Put a spark plug on the plug wire and against the head to check for a good hot spark spark. If not, find out why.

Second easy test. Turn the gas off and drain the carb. Shoot some starting fluid in the air intake and see if it will start on this. if not, make sure you have compression.

These are the main things that can go wrong without someone fooling with the spark timing or cam timing.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Did You remember to hook up the vacuum hose from the top of the carb to the fuel tap? This vacuum hose opens the petcock diaphragm to flow fuel ONLY when the engine is turning over, either by starter motor or by actually running.

With NO CHOKE, and fuel valve in Reserve position, crank the starter button for 20 seconds to FILL the carb. While still cranking, pull the choke lever on! Does it start or not?

Reactions: insan3guy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did You remember to hook up the vacuum hose from the top of the carb to the fuel tap? This vacuum hose opens the petcock diaphragm to flow fuel ONLY when the engine is turning over, either by starter motor or by actually running.

With NO CHOKE, and fuel valve in Reserve position, crank the starter button for 20 seconds to FILL the carb. While still cranking, pull the choke lever on! Does it start or not?
That worked!! Thanks so much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts