Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried these noise cancelling ear buds while riding their bike?
I have used the Bose headsets in an airplane but that's a different deal altogether.
Now I see noise cancelling ear buds from Sony and Rockfish and was curious if they would work on a bike?
Any opinions out there?
Cheers....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Headphones while driving are illegal in some areas but that said, when at highway speed there is not much you will hear anyways. I have used the beats earphones (http://ca.beatsbydre.com/en/earphones/urbeats/black/900-00066-01-ca.html) and they block all noise except the great music and have many attachments so as to find the right ones to fit your ear comfortably. I found the cheaper headphones did not work well at highway speeds.

I have these new ones from monster (http://www.monsterproducts.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6822)that allow you to hear sound around you while still listening to music and great for around town. The biggest challenge is finding a helmet that will not knock them out when you put the helmet on. Once on the things do not move (fullface that is)...

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I wore the skullcandy ones. I've recorded in professional studios. Just a way of saying I've worn a lot of nice earphones. Recently picked these up. They may break, but they seem well made, the block noise, they actually have BASS, and they fit flat to your head so they're not annoying in the helmet.

BOSE is unbeatable, but these have the skullcandy, etc buds beat STUPID. For less than $10!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELYQGG

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll look into a couple of these. What I wanted to try was electronic noise cancelling types. I didn't know they existed until I looked on the net. They actually pickup ambient noise and then electronically produce the opposite wave length that in effect cancels that noise.
Like I mentioned I have used Bose noise cancelling headsets when flying a plane, and they were amazing. But the steady sound of a turboprop lends itself well to that technology. I'm not sure what buffeting wind would do to n.c. earbuds though. If I can find a set at somplace like "The Source" for <$100.00, I might just give them a go.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll look into a couple of these. What I wanted to try was electronic noise cancelling types. I didn't know they existed until I looked on the net. They actually pickup ambient noise and then electronically produce the opposite wave length that in effect cancels that noise.
Like I mentioned I have used Bose noise cancelling headsets when flying a plane, and they were amazing. But the steady sound of a turboprop lends itself well to that technology. I'm not sure what buffeting wind would do to n.c. earbuds though. If I can find a set at somplace like "The Source" for <$100.00, I might just give them a go.
Oops. Yeah, that's a whole different animal. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like to hear the drone of my motor when I'm riding. I find it relaxes me. Plus if anything starts to sound funny or wrong I want to be able to detect it asap. No headphones for me! I don't run a Bluetooth in my helmet either because I like to get AWAY from the phone. I check my messages when I stop to buy gas or stretch my legs. But hey, to each their own. LOL.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't usually listen to music when I ride either, hell I don't even own a mobile phone! But I have to put in about 12 hours riding into Edmonton. There are a couple of really long boring stretches and I'm liable to nod off. A friend suggested sticking in some tunes at some point. I don't have an iPod either so I am going to borrow my daughters and burn a couple Van Halen albums on there! Ha, Katy Perry meets David Lee Roth!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts