Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just scored myself a 1987 kl 650 from my neighbour about 3 hours ago for fixing up 2 of his kids quadbikes. Good deal (I Hope):c0125:

I got this poor old girl running after cleaning the carb and putting some gearbox oil that i had floating around the shed into it. Im not sure what sort of oil to put into it to start with but i figured mtx gearbox oil is better than dry just to get it started.It fires up pretty easily but man it sounds ROUGH! I took it for a quick burn around the front paddock and it seems to ride really well considering it has sat for 3 years after the guys could'nt get it running.

the fact that the oil window thing on the side of the gearbox was registering absolute zero when i took it, worries me that it was ridden with no oil in it and got itself fried. there is aslo a bit of smoke rolling out the exhaust. If anyone cares to enlighten a newbie please be my guest and earn yourself some kudos.

cheers Rob

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hello aussirob!
Welcome to the forum!
You will want to drop the "gearbox oil" out and use a 10w40 engine oil. 2.5 litres is the recommended amount and should be just about to the top of the sight glass (window).
Hopefully the engine isn't damaged and you get to have some fun on your "new" bike. If the oil gradually dripped out while the bike was sitting for the extended period, you should be OK. Watch the level carefully, a KLR run low of oil will quickly melt the head due to oil starving the cams.
Best of luck....justjeff

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
The KLR has a pretty unique sounding engine to begin with, but if it was ran out of oil, it could sound even worse!

Best way to check for oil starvation damage is to pull the valve cover off and check the camshafts/caps for galling and discoloring. If everything looks good up top you might be fine. If not, at least you know what you've got.

As was already said, and you might have known already, the oil has to be checked with the bike balanced level or the site glass will be empty. Hoping it was just on it's sidestand and there was actually oil in it. Wishing you the best of luck with it, I like happy endings better than sad ones!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch for the info guys, I went through and followed the given instructions and this bike is unbelievable. I have spent far too long riding my wife's DT 175!!
I was riding the klr yesterday hit a little jump the kids built and the rear shock lower bracket snapped clean in half?!
I weigh in at 120kg so that may not have helped but it looks like the shock may have been on its death bed to start with. I have been sending emails out the wreckers but its looking pretty grim. I am a little afraid to call the dealership in town to ask a price. any advice? or anyone with a donor bike out there? I am in geelong near melbourne aus

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi aussierob!
Try posting on the "Marketplace and Classified" section of this forum. Wanted to buy.....
That should get a response.Cruise through the adds too. Maybe someone is selling one or parting a bike out.
Regards....justjeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts