Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a picture of how the muffler fits on my exhaust pipe. The front is to the right. The bike came with a muffler from DG performance.

Question: Is an exhaust clamp needed here? Or is this typical of slip-on exhausts?

This is my first bike and I have no frame of reference. Logically the exhaust gases would have to make U-turn to get past this joint.

jncdi

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No evidence of leaks found. I am more concerned about preventing a potential problem.

jncdi

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
If the muffler mid-pipe has 2 - 4 splits in it, a clamp will help to secure the pipe. But one should apply some Hi-Temp silicone sealant to the joint, when assembling.
If the mid-pipe does not have splits, a clamp can't clamp it any tighter.

I don't know why the cheap bas**** pipe companies don't use the OEM style mid-pipe gasket? But even the OEM gaskets have been know to fail & burn an air box, my original did, about 30 years ago. And Kawasaki had updated that gasket by the time mine failed, so others had probably failed before mine.

That mid-pipe clamp became part of my SOP of Break-in Maintenance, even though one had to remove the brake fluid reservoir to check it, after first torquing the header nuts, and finally the muffler bolts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Easy enough to fix. Bike did not have a clamp there when I bought it.

Checked the airbox yesterday and it is OK; so still in the prevention mode.

jncdi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts