Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new klr. Like 2 miles on it, haven't ridden much cuz it's been so damn cold out lately. Any way how does one just crawl along on this thing let out the clutch in 1st and it wants to go like 15mph, been trying to just putt around the yard and I could use a whole lower gear like gear -1. Anyone else experience this or do I just need to learn how to ride it?

·
Registered
623 Posts
To crawl you’ll need to feather the clutch. Work the clutch, gas, and brake together.

·
Registered
623 Posts
For very slow practice, I like to go in a large empty parking lot and go as slow as I can turning right and left as far as I can. By feathering the clutch and rear brake, I’ve gotten to full left and right steering stops while staying vertical and barely moving. Took me awhile, and I have to do it regularly to keep good at it. Surprising how much this helps in all types of riding situations. Gets me a real good feel for my abilities as well as the bike’s and it’s balance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So I just got my new klr. Like 2 miles on it, haven't ridden much cuz it's been so damn cold out lately. Any way how does one just crawl along on this thing let out the clutch in 1st and it wants to go like 15mph, been trying to just putt around the yard and I could use a whole lower gear like gear -1. Anyone else experience this or do I just need to learn how to ride it?
You can always drop a tooth or two on the front sprocket.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I will just about keep mine standing up without moving at all for a few seconds by using the back brake and motor revving as a gyro sorta. I never did over about 5 miles an hour this morning on the way to work. Was brutal.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
you can use the brake and clutch as described by Patroy and Dan but that's only practical for short intervals. If you find that first gear is higher than you'd like the easiest thing to do is to install a 14 tooth front sprocket as Voyager said.

.....hmm, it seems I've contributed nothing new. Oh well. LOL

Dave

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree.. 1st gear is just too high. When in tight single track stuff where you are forced to go slow to maneuver around trees and stuff in the woods, you are constantly feathering the clutch ( and stalling it). I wish it was a 6 speed with a low low 1st gear so in normal circumstances you could just start in second, but had that extra low gear when you need it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree.. 1st gear is just too high. When in tight single track stuff where you are forced to go slow to maneuver around trees and stuff in the woods, you are constantly feathering the clutch ( and stalling it). I wish it was a 6 speed with a low low 1st gear so in normal circumstances you could just start in second, but had that extra low gear when you need it.
i know it adds cost and weight, but for a true dual-purpose bike like the KLR, I like the two-range transmission approach such as Kawasaki used back in the 70s on one of the 100cc models. It gives you lower gears and closer ratios for real off-road work, yet still have the higher ratios and wider spacing for highway work.

·
Registered
320 Posts
you can use the brake and clutch as described by Patroy and Dan but that's only practical for short intervals. If you find that first gear is higher than you'd like the easiest thing to do is to install a 14 tooth front sprocket as Voyager said.

.....hmm, it seems I've contributed nothing new. Oh well. LOL

Dave
I dunno. I think it is helpful to see an endorsement or two of a given technique or solution. I think it gives the reader a little more confidence when you see either data and test results or at least multiple concurring opinions. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
If they were to put in an extra low 1st gear, then they would have to make it a 7 speed transmission, because most owners really want the extra gear on top. ;)

The more one rides these beasts the easier it all becomes. Practice, practice, practice. I guess that I have been practising for 48 years now. And I occasionally still get it wrong.

Month & a half ago I finally tipped the KX500 over into deep enough water to put the fire out. Spend the next hour pushing the thing up & down a slope with the spark plug removed. (at about 8000 ft altitude, :))

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What speed (RPM) does your engine idle at. Do you know where the big idle speed adjustment screw with the big head is on the right side of the carburetor below where the throttle cables attach to the carburetor?

I have my idle speed set at about 1,250 rpm. I had to go to the store after reading this post, so I tested my idle speed (MPH) ridding through the parking lot with my hand off the throttle. My KLR chugged along idling at 6 mph and I had no trouble maintaining balance and guiding it between cars.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Riding fast (on a straight road) is easy. To learn to creep, start in a parking lot going down hill (with the clutch in) using the brake. Then advance to the flat spot and use the clutch AND BRAKE. Then work on the up hill parts. Don't do it for hours or you'll need a clutch. Master the downhill, then the flat, then the up hill. Use the brake and the clutch at the same time. Feather the clutch and make the clutch pull against the brake.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
When both my son and my daughter wanted to learn to ride my motorcycle I took them to a "grassy" area like a school playground, soccer field .... on Saturday. We got fewer scratches on them and the bike that way.

Try it for your slow speed practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts