Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

For those of you that do not know me, I'm Marty. I've been around the KLR650 for a bit and absolutely love riding my 2004 Aztec Red model. Yes, Red is fastest sorry to say!

I got into riding a few years ago when I was about 14 or so. I was out cutting grass as a part time job one summer - (back then it was cutting grass, not mowing lawns!) - and I spotted this rusting hulk of something with two wheels in an adjacent garage. I went over and knocked on the door and asked about it. "Oh, you mean the old motorscooter in the garage. Hasn't run in years, but if you want it, I'll take $15 for it and it yours."

Well, Mom started into one of her dissertations on wasting money and why would I ever think about having something like that around, yada, yada, yada. However, I did sweet talk her into letting me keep it. I think she knew that if she made me dispose of it, why it would simply get moved to one of my friend's houses and I would still be riding it.

I got the old Allstate - made by Cushman - scooter running, filled the tires up with air and took off. I was on two wheels without having to pedal and immediately fell in love.

One of my good buddies, Buddy, had a Father that loved motorcycles. Buddy's Dad had a big garage in the back of his house that was filled with parts, pieces and whatever for motorcycles. He believed that if he bought enough $35 "Basketcases" that eventually he would have enough parts to build a motorcycle or 12. Well, he had cheap labor (me & Buddy) so we did most of the heavy, dirty, sweaty work. After a while, I had a Harley-Davidson that I built from parts that we had disassembled. It was an early 40's frame with a 61 cubic inch flathead motor, a 3 speed-tank shifted transmission, Duo-Glide forks and a pair of split tanks with oil on one side, gasonline on the other. A great bike.

After I graduated high school, I went into the military and wound up in Japan. I found out about Hondas - a CB350, 450 and 750. I was liking them quite a bit. Came back stateside, met and married the great gal I'm still married to after 33 years, moved to Florida and was riding my Suzuki 380 around for some time. After the little ones started appearing in the family, I got off the bikes for about 20 years. When my son graduated from high school, I was back riding again.

To get my skills back working, I took one of the MSF rider courses. It was the MRC:RSS course. I found it to be a great course and was asked if I was interested in becoming an instructor. I signed up and took the training and have been teaching the Basic Rider Course ever since. I love teaching people the safe way to ride a motorcycle. Watching a group of folks that have never ridden before become fairly proficient riders by the end of the weekend is very rewarding to me.

I love motorcycles - riding them, wrenching on them, teaching others about them and just more riding.

I think the KLR650 is one of, if not the best all-around motorcycle ever built!

Looking forward to hanging around these here parts!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad you've found your way over here, Marty! We Southeasterners have to stick together......... y'all.

:D

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I'm still in the South....for a little while longer.

HI GUYS...I see you found your way here alright, Marty!!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Marty you are like Eagle Mike EVERY ONE knows you....

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts