Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice my KLR has much less of a friction zone in the clutch compared to the bike I took my MSF course. It rode a cruiser type Kawi for the class. It seemed to start engaging the clutch at about 7 or 8 position on the lever( 1 being all the way out 10 being squeezed in all the way in) .
My 99 KLR seems to start engaging at about 3-4 so it does seem a fair bit different. Is my KLR clutch lever ok, should I try adjusting, lubing , whatever?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Sounds about right. You should have 1-2mm of play in the lever. Lubing would probably be of benefit since it is almost 10 years old. New cable might also be preventative so you don't get caught out somewhere with an old broken cable. My clutch engages about where yours does. I actually like it out that far, it lets me slip and play with the clutch more and not worry about immediate engagement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, guess maybe it's just a matter of getting use to something different. Replacing the cable sounds like a good idea too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use a cable lube several times a year on my 98. We are taking a week long ride into the UP and I'm spending the 18 bucks and taking a new cable along. If I need it fine or I'll replace it when I get back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts