Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I starting something like this, but I need to know the options out there and you all are a very creative lot.

I need to replace my normal riding gloves. I had a pair from Cycle gear, the Frank Thomas house brand that held up very well during my get off on pavement. They did tear through the outer leather layer on the palm and it's time to retire them. They weren't great gloves, so I'm interested in what you all recommend for normal year round riding when it's too cool for mesh and too warm for the Snow gloves.

I'm interested in medium weight gloves, prefer some sort of knuckle padding and extra material on the palm and back of the fingers/hand.

I'm looking for leather, non-performated, "waterproof" rated would be alright, but I don't want thick insulated gloves.
I have a pair of Olympia foul weather gloves already, if it's wet really cold I wear them.

What non-motorcycle specific gloves have you been happy with?

Thanks,
TW

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got a pair of Joe Rocket Hard Drive gloves and Tourmaster Polar Fleece liners last year through New Enough. I see they still have the liners, but not the outer gloves. I've been pretty happy with them. At "in town" speeds, my hands never got cold, but on the highway, I found out they're not too good when it's 21 degrees outside! But they're supposed to be water proof, although I haven't tested that theory yet and between the gloves and the liners, spent about $45.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For non-motorcycle specific gloves, I have a pair of suede dress gloves that are surprisingly warm and waterproof. They're good for down to about 35 degrees F but start to lose it after that. I'd really hate to hit the pavement with them though.

Ski gloves are super when it drops below freezing and offer decent protection. For serious cold, I wear mittens and just deal with it.

What you're looking for sounds like a snowmobile glove. They are built about like motorcycle gloves but with sealed seams and insulation to keep your fingers from breaking off. They will have a great deal of insulation on top with less on the palms and fingertips so can still feel stuff. I had a pair of Olympia cold weather gloves and they kept my hands warm and dry but the padding was so thick on the inside, my hands would start to cramp. The fingers were not articulated and not really suited well for riding.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I'm not actually looking for cold weather storm gloves, I have those, I'm looking for good options for the sunny fall/winter day riding.
I'll most likely just head on down to Cycle Gear and see what they have, the last pair did pretty well.

TW

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I am in the same situation. I was looking at the warmer Tourmaster gloves but have not made a decision. Got to do something quickly since the morning and evenings are getting chilly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the olympia all season with wind-tex. Good all around gauntlet type glove for cool to moderate cold. Insert a liner like the reflective type and fair in cold. This is all I need right down to 25 degrees ( the coldest ambiant I've ridden) even with the windchill. With heated grips ( just installed ) I figure I'll be fine. Now, what to do about my toes?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bought a pair of balck leather gloves from JCPenney that were lined with "deer skin" according to the tag, paid about $20 for the pair and to be so thin they are great in colder weather and they do not budle up your fingers so can still grab and hold nicely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tumbleweed said:
I order a pair of Joe Rocket Balster 2.0 gloves on closeout at newenough.com

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_blaster_2point0_gloves_page.htm

I had a $10.00 credit so that paid for the shipping and then some.

They are also closing out the TourMaster Advanced jackets. Nice stuff.

These look like nice gloves with decent protection, I'll let you know how they do.

TW
I got a pair of them from New Enough a few weeks ago. Nice warmer weather glove (there are vent holes in the sides of the fingers) and thin enough leather for a nice feel of the controls. Good, long gauntlets fit nicely over my Tour Master Saber jacket. For the price they're one hell of a deal.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Airwolf said:
Tumbleweed said:
I order a pair of Joe Rocket Balster 2.0 gloves on closeout at newenough.com

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_blaster_2point0_gloves_page.htm

I had a $10.00 credit so that paid for the shipping and then some.

They are also closing out the TourMaster Advanced jackets. Nice stuff.

These look like nice gloves with decent protection, I'll let you know how they do.

TW
I got a pair of them from New Enough a few weeks ago. Nice warmer weather glove (there are vent holes in the sides of the fingers) and thin enough leather for a nice feel of the controls. Good, long gauntlets fit nicely over my Tour Master Saber jacket. For the price they're one hell of a deal.
How warm are these gloves? I am looking for an intermediate glove and a warm waterproof glove. I was originally looking at these (expensive) gloves.
http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_winter_elite_gloves_page.htm
http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_coldfront_carbon_gloves_page.htm
http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_cold_tex_gloves_page.htm
The Rockets look nice and are priced well but I still need something for cold and wet. Suggestions?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have the Held Narvik Gore-Tex gloves. Love them because I can get them in half sizes, so now they fit, well, like a glove! I have to have warm hands when riding during the winter. I'm one of those guys where if my hands are cold, then I'm cold. I think this winter I'm going to try their new and improved version, the Ice Breakers!

Summertime I whip out the Held Steves'. They have great feel with the Kangaroo hide palms, plus better abrasion resistance to boot!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Tumbleweed said:
I figured for the price, it's about time I tried something from Joe Rocket.

If they aren't right for this time of year I'll probably be ordering a set of the Olympia 4350s (which is what was in my cart before I saw the Joe Rockets on sale) or possibly the Cold Throttles.

http://www.newenough.com/product_group_gloves_olympia.htm

TW
Thanks TW. Last night I was looking at the Olympia gloves and they looked very good for the price. Not sure what I am going to get but I have to make a decision tonight since I am reordering the Tourmaster Caliber pants and want to save on shipping.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blasters are here already

Wow Talk about service, the Folks at New Enough.com got my gloves to me with todays mail.

They are nice, well made and more protective than the Cycle Gear Frank Thomas gloves I tore up.
They do have perforated edges on the fingers, wish that had been mentioned in the sales info, but for the price they are REALLY nice. Fit is good too. Snug but comfy and they'll break in nicely.

I like the style too, slightly Super Motard without looking tooo GSXR...

well see how they do as for my normal riding, I wasn't expecting winter gloves and these look like they'll be great for my better weather days.

TW

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rode in to work today too, that makes every day this week, wind -rain- fog. Sweet.

First test of the gloves this morning was very interesting. The gloves have a great feel in the fingers, the leather is thinner than my last pair and I can actually feel with my finger tips through them. The vent provide a little air flow that will take some getting used to, it almost tickles. Kinda nice though as I have warm hands and this lets them breath some.

Overall, it's glove.

TW

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, these are nice warm day gloves. Temp was mid 50's on my ride in and the leather is too thin to give any insulation and the vented fingers let in that cold air. The back of my hands started getting cold pretty quickly.

Looks like I'll be picking up something else that is waterproof and slightly insulated.

TW

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also picked up a pair of Olympia gloves for the cooler days.

http://www.newenough.com/olympia_model_1310_trailblazer2_gloves_page.htm

They're *very* comfortable and good down to the mid/high 40's. I have thin wool glove liners that I use as well.

I've been in rain with them and they stayed dry.

Worst conditions I've ridden in with them is air temps in the mid/high 30's and overcast (with my wool liners in) and it wasn't enough. I had to dig out some handwarmer packets to make it home. The last hour wasn't pleasant.

I finally realized that I simply can't ride comfortably (as far as my hands are concerned) in anything much below 45. I've got a set of Hot Grips curing on the bike as I type this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep, I've got a set of 1310s too. Haven't been cold enough for them not to work, problem is they are too warm most of the time and a little too bulky for me.

I just need to go try some on when I have a spare afternoon.

TW

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Tumbleweed said:
yep, I've got a set of 1310s too. Haven't been cold enough for them not to work, problem is they are too warm most of the time and a little too bulky for me.

I just need to go try some on when I have a spare afternoon.

TW
Check CycleGear they have reduced prices on some items. This Saturday, 10/28/2006, everything in the store is a 10% discount. ProTaper bars are discounted at $62.95 and Saturday will be another 10%. MotoBoss gloves are discounted to $27.95 and this Saturday will be another 10% off. I am going to make a list and see if it is worth missing riding to Corbin's this Saturday.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
TW I just bought the Tour Master liners, both silk and fleece and find them very good to extend the usefulness of any glove. Today I wore the silk liner and a thin pair of Olympia leather gloves and they were very comfortable and I had good feel for the clutch and brake levers. Worth the minimal dollars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts