Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What are the specs for KLR650 for Compression and Leak Down Tests?

The KLR685's milage is 14,000km.
Is 90psi normal for Compression?
Is 6% at 75 PSI normal for Leak Down Test? ( loss is at the intake and crankcase).

I was told "The loss in the crankcase can be attributed to rings being slightly worn....If you really wanted it fixed, you would need to put new rings in it.".
What would be the cost if it's done by a mechanic? Do I need to rebuild the engine in 10,000-20,000kms?

It's hard to decide on a used KLR if you not mechanically inclined. That's why I eventually chose to buy brand-new bikes I can not afford.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello,

What are the specs for KLR650 for Compression and Leak Down Tests?

The KLR685's milage is 14,000km.
Is 90psi normal for Compression?
Is 6% at 75 PSI normal for Leak Down Test? ( loss is at the intake and crankcase).

I was told "The loss in the crankcase can be attributed to rings being slightly worn....If you really wanted it fixed, you would need to put new rings in it.".
What would be the cost if it's done by a mechanic? Do I need to rebuild the engine in 10,000-20,000kms?

It's hard to decide on a used KLR if you not mechanically inclined. That's why I eventually chose to buy brand-new bikes I can not afford.

Thanks...

I'm not sure you can do a valid compression or leak down check because of the auto decomp on the exhaust cam.

KLRs go >60k miles without any sort of attention generally. The 685 kit is supposed to have higher quality rings than OEM so I would expect even better results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called them. The throttle was held wide open during the compression test.
They said they do not disable auto-decomp., they just do a leak down test.

I am not sure %6 @75psi is good or a higher pressure is required.

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts