Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went for a ride on Monday with a buddy who just bought a used Triumph Tiger 800 over to the coast. The weather has only gotten better & warmer. Then I see an update on a thread about Knoxville Road, and Reiff Road.
"Well now, I haven't been over Reiff Road in, uh, two? three years?"
The wife has plans with her mom & sister on Wednesday........ PERFECT!

Head out solo and have to stop 40 minutes into the ride to start shedding layers. :letsfide
And a cup of coffee at one of my usual spots, Spanish Flat store.

Then I head on up around Lake Berryessa. The fishermen seem to enjoy the calm water.

A great road that narrows down a bit in places, but it's still green and it has a few creek crossings that can be a problem in the rainy season. Not an issue right now.

Three of the crossings still had water over them. :wings

Can I make it?

Uh, yeah that's not a problem.

Then on up to the old Homestake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaughlin_Natural_Reserve Mining operation. Used to come up here in the 80's and see piles of huge tires for the haul trucks. This was a bridge for them running between the pit and crushing plant.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Turn on Reiff Road and start to leave pavement behind for a while.

And make it passed the open BLM gate.

Head east past Davis Creek reservoir and on up to the ridge.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Once I made it to the top of the ridge, the views were spectacular to say the least.

And this one is looking north towards the Stony Ford area and you can even see Bear Valley in there somewhere if you know where to look. Need to head up there soon, it is famous for spring wild flower blooms.

Now that ridge I was on is over 2,700 feet in elevation. I started the ride at around 45 feet of elevation, and the creek I'm heading to down below is around 550 feet of elevation. The trail gets a little steep. Here, let me show you the elevation profile.

First gear all the way down covering both brakes, leads to a BLM campround that is more or less abandoned but some regular locals seem to keep the place up. And I heard that Cal Fire used it when fighting a very large fire in the area two years ago.

And one little problem turning around at a creek crossing gave me my workout for the day.

Had lunch at the campground, then decided it was time for heading back up out of there.

Up to the top of the ridge again, and then a left turn towards Hwy 16 and the Cache Creek bridge.
Which by the way is officially closed and rated at "ZERO TONS".

Now we all know that the KLR's are pigs, but really? A ton?
I'll chance it over the broken concrete structure that they use to launch rafts from.

Back to pavement is always a thrill on a KLR. It feels like you're going so fast in anything besides first or second gear.
Wish I had the power of the GS at this point, but REALLY glad that I didn't have to pick it up at the creek incident.

Anyway, Back down 16 to the lovely spot of Guinda California. Always stop to buy something, and sit on the front porch bench to enjoy Mayberry.

After a rest, it was on home before dark on the slabs for a total of 159 miles and 13,425 feet of accent and decent.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
And this one is looking north towards the Stony Ford area and you can even see Bear Valley in there somewhere if you know where to look. Need to head up there soon, it is famous for spring wild flower blooms.
campfire, I think "IMG" files (not, "URL") are required for posting images with posts.

Ain't sure; only . . . none of your images appeared on my computer screen. (Could be my hand-cranked computer, or antique server.)

That said, sounds like you had a WONDERFUL outing (water crossing excluded)!

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
campfire, I think "IMG" files (not, "URL") are required for posting images with posts.

Ain't sure; only . . . none of your images appeared on my computer screen. (Could be my hand-cranked computer, or antique server.)

That said, sounds like you had a WONDERFUL outing (water crossing excluded)!
Yesterday, campfires pics were On Screen. Today we need to click on each pic to have proper order or just scroll thru his series selections.

Odd.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll go make sure that settings are “ public” on my photo hosting site. But I’ve never had an issue before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Yikes! I tried, but I can't fix it.

Cool that you rode the weirs, though.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes! I tried, but I can't fix it.

Cool that you rode the weirs, though.

Can somebody try to look at it with Tapatalk and see if it’s working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think... THINK, that I figured it out, and will have to edit the whole post and re-write the photo parts.

Later.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
I think... THINK, that I figured it out, and will have to edit the whole post and re-write the photo parts.

Later.
That seems like a lot of extra work. But it does make a nice posting.

You currently have 6 pics open again in the 1st posting.

Reactions: campfire

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Post should read, "FAILED experiment!"

I tried to cobble an image code from the "invisible" images post above into the Photobucket format, in hope of unleashing an image. Didn't work!

:)

EDIT: Thanks, campfire; stunning images now visible. Whatever you did, it WORKS!

:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That seems like a lot of extra work. But it does make a nice posting.

You currently have 6 pics open again in the 1st posting.

Thanks Paul, I did go back and re-installed the links for the pictures, and hope it works this time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Back story to the old road

So way back when, we spent a lot of time at, and on, Lake Berryessa. Very rarely did we ever drive to the north end of the lake, but we did putt up here in the boat once in a while. I can remember seeing the ranches on the east side of the lake, and a road.
Asked my dad a couple of times how you got over there?
It was then that he told me that there used to be a town here before they built the lake. Now to a seven or eight year old, building a lake was a BIG deal. How on earth do you build a lake?
I always enjoyed the lake, especially in my teens (and High School cut days) but being the history buff that I've always been, I thought it was sad. Not sure at what age that I realized that they had flooded an entire valley, and destroyed a town to make that lake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monticello,_California

And somewhere in those early years, dear old dad told me that there was another town on up the road called Knoxville. "But it's a ghost town now, used to be a gold mine up there."

Ghost town? Gold mine?
Guess who bugged dad to no end to take him up there.

So to appease the "Dad, dad, dad, dad..." we set off one Saturday to go see what we could find.
AND, dad packed along the old .22 pistol.
I'm sure I probably popped off that night with "This was the best day of my life Dad!" what with looking for a ghost town and a gold mine. Neither of which we ever found, but we did find an old panel truck we could shoot at.
Now once you get passed the north end of the lake, the road gets really narrow, and has those cool water crossings.

Then sometime in the 70's we discovered BLM land up there that was designated a "off road vehicle area". And it was a safe place to go target shooting. One of the trips up there later, when I was around thirteen or so, he let me drive our old Datsun truck. Another "Best day of my life" moment.
AND... They found gold again! They opened up the Homestake Mining Company nearby and the area was booming again.
https://visitredwoodcoast.com/content/homestake-mine-the-donald-and-sylvia-mclaughlin-natural-reserve/nco993575986FFE79F2E

But as with any gold mine, like the first one up there, it ran out. And when they close down a mine now, they start to erase it for environmental purposes. Buildings, GONE, pits, filled in, collection ponds are treated over & over. All that's left is a lot of land where stuff used to be.
Behind locked gates.

So of course when my son was old enough to learn to shoot, we took off for Knoxville with the same old Ruger 22, and spent the day roaming the hills in the truck looking for that fabled gold mine that they might have overlooked, and shooting bricks of 22. And of course, I took him to the old panel van for target practice.
So now when I cruise the area on the bike, it's a real sentimental ride with lots of great memories.

And that old panel van? That was used by who knows how many of hundred target shooters?

Yep, still there.

Sort of.

Thanks for coming along for the ride down memory lane.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Brother Jeff - You are invited to post ride reports like this any day of the week.

Thanks for sharing the pics and historical summary for that area - neat stuff!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Thanks for sharing, campfire!

I believe you're entitled to sing the song:

"Hey, omma the most happy fella
In the whole Napa Valley, . . ."

(From the Broadway musical.)

Your personal experiences, lyrical images, and historical background comprise the best qualities of an interesting and informative ride report.

Ride on!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts