Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my Honda last night, as it was low on gas, and payday isnt til next friday. Pulled the KLR out. This morning, I noticed it was slow cranking, but it started. headed to work, and got 2 miles from home and the clutch cable went slack, IN TRAFFIC. I tried to do a quick u-turn, but the car in front of me stopped. I stalled the bike. Put her in neutral, and hit the starter, NUTTIN! Dead battery. It sorta clicked, but no crank. Now Im in middle of traffic, trying to push the beast to the nearest lot, uphill.. Got it in, and called off sick to work. Got the wife to come and get me. had to get my trailer unloaded,hooked to my van, AFTER I put on the hitch..... Its home now, and I am tired. cause the trailer is only 6 feet long, and I released the bed to drop, to load the bike on, but most of the weight was still in the rear,and wouldnt raise the bed back up. So I had to find a piece of plywood, to make shift a ramp. Relatched the bed, heaved this heavy gal up the 18" piece of ramp. Its on, and tied down. Now I get to unload it, and order a cable from bikebandit, and figger out why the battery isnt charging.. Its gotta be better than working,though....:(

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
That sucks, but like you said, better than working. I can get mine in the back of my Toyota if it's running, but it takes at least two strong guys to get it up the ramp and in there if it's not running. We have a trailer we can borrow from friends, but my wife could never hook it up by herself and come get me. If I broke down, I'd just have to leave the bike and hope somebody didn't steal it until she came and got me and I was able to get back with a trailer.

It's amazing how a 2-wheeled, 400-pound machine can turn in to such an immovable dead weight when it stops running.

How old's your battery?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bought the bike a few months ago, as far as I know, its fairly new. Prolly outta water...I honestly havent done much but ridden this one. its my own fault. i do preventive maintenance in an industrial plant, and the last thing i want to do when i get home is work on a motorcycle. But today is the catch-up day. heading out now to get it off the trailer

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Bummer. It will be funny, though. Someday.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery is fine, full of water, and the battery tender brought it up in no time. Hoping it's charging. the cable is only 30 dollars,shipped. Guess I gotta ride the Honda tomorrow,or cage it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my expierence once they are dead, they are dead. Sounds like a hell of a day though, good luck getting it put back in running condition.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
In my expierence once they are dead, they are dead. Sounds like a hell of a day though, good luck getting it put back in running condition.
Normally, I'd agree, but when they heat the water out of them, they'll come back just fine.. A co worker ran one dry, filled it, and it started his bike for the next year and a half.

But, if it's full of water in this case, I'd be wandering to Walmart and installing a new battery..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its dated 8/10. Im not gonna replace YET. The Tender normally tells the condition.. It diidnt take long to come to green light. Im thinking if anything its not charging. Gotta get my digital voltmeter on it.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
its dated 8/10. Im not gonna replace YET. The Tender normally tells the condition.. It diidnt take long to come to green light. Im thinking if anything its not charging. Gotta get my digital voltmeter on it.
I'm just guessing, but would say the fact that you reached green light status on the battery tender quickly is a bad sign. My battery is a year old and "good," but when I do the occasional monthly "top off" with the battery tender, it usually takes 3-4 hours or more to reach "optimum charge."

It can test good for voltage, but that doesn't mean it's going to work when you reinstall it and put it to work.

There are two ways to tell if the battery is still any good: put it back in and see what it does under use or run it by an auto parts store, etc. and have them do a load test on it.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did a voltage test on the running bike. 13.4 volts. At rest, the battery shows 12.2 v. I think I'm OK. Waiting for the cable,and Ill run her towork. I think it will be fine.:35a:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Loose battery connection stranded me once, a while back. I thought it was the battery, but as a last resort, checked the connection anyhow. It had vibrated loose. When I tightened it, the bike fired right up.

Lesson I seem to have to keep re-learning: Check the easy stuff first!

Reminder: I need to order a spare clutch cable today...might as well order a spare front brake cable while I'm at it...

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Loose battery connection stranded me once, a while back. I thought it was the battery, but as a last resort, checked the connection anyhow. It had vibrated loose. When I tightened it, the bike fired right up.

Lesson I seem to have to keep re-learning: Check the easy stuff first!

Reminder: I need to order a spare clutch cable today...might as well order a spare front brake cable while I'm at it...
No point in ordering a spare front brake cable... It's hydraulic ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts