Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

Was told of the KLRforum by a member name of Mark who works for RedWing Shoes in Santa Rosa, CA. He said even though I don't own a KLR, I should sign up anyway as there was a great group of people here and that I'd be welcome to participate in the forums & join in on group rides.

About me - I'm 47, live in Northern California and am returning to riding after a 20+ year break. Stumbled upon ADVrider about 5 years ago and reading all the great ride reports rekindled the riding flame inside me. I lusted after the many great adventure bikes I read about, some available here in the US - some not, and for five years I coveted KLR's, F650 Dakars, Yamaha Tenere's, Africa Twins, etc.

A couple of days before Xmas last year, I stumbled upon a nice 1990 Honda Transalp a guy was trying to sell in the middle of Winter. After learning of the ownership and maintenance history, I took it for a 15min ride that turned into nearly an hour and fell in love with an 18 year old!

Yeah, she's not a KLR but they've both been produced since 1987 so they seem kinda like they are distant Cousins in a way. I know the KLR has the edge in dirt-worthiness but I put an IRC GP1 on the back and took her over Cow Mountain from Lakeport to Ukiah two weekends ago and did fine. Suspension improvements are definitely on my list of farkles though.

Sorry for the ramble - here's a pic of my ride (click for Grande size)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome. Nice bike. A lot to learn from forums and nice people to meet. Do you have your emergency tool kit set up in case you get a flat. Tire sealant for inner tubes or spare tubes, tire irons, mini air pump, patches or tow service for motorcycles (AAA). Hate to see you stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys

I bought a nice Custom Leathercraft 1173 tool roll but haven't got it stocked with tools yet. I've read through most of Neduro's tire changing thread over on ADVrider but haven't bought tire tools to try & tackle a tire change yet. I do realize I'm going to have to learn to do that and lots more if I'm ever going to attempt any serious ADVriding.

Larryboy

That wasn't me posting in the SheetIron thread. That sounds like a real interesting ride for me to consider in the future though - Stonyford is only about a 2.5 hour ride from Windsor and Mendocino Nat Forest is a nice area for riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts