Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love fishing MORE than I love riding a motorcycle. And that's a lot. Not as many folks fish as used to. I feel like it is kind of a disappearing art. Since I'm a writer, I write about pretty much anything I think about. So, I started writing about fishing. Basically, I wrote a very short guide for someone who is intimidated by fishing, telling them the easiest way to get themselves and their KIDS catching fish.

Sorry this is spammy. I'll give you a copy if you want, but you can also pick one up on Amazon. It's only an ebook right now and will probably stay that way (so short).

So, guys like me who look at people who don't know how to tie a clinch knot trying to teaching a kid to HATE fishing - this is a very baby gloves guide.

Again, I know this is poor form, I hate pushing my work on people. I'm barely gonna make a thing off this, though, so if you feel like this was misplaced capitalism, PM me and I'll give you a copy. Honestly, I think this could get more kids fishing and that's my goal.

:character0053:

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
As one who is proud to proclaim "Hey, that's why it's called fishing and not catching!" I picked up a copy hoping that I might not have to say that so much anymore.

"My go-to lure is a Dardevl red and white; it doesn't catch fish, either, but I can cast it a long way", Tom said alluringly.

Tom

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
That's very true, some of my fondest childhood memories were of fishing with my grandpa. He was an avid fisherman to say the least! I miss him and I miss fishing, I really should get back into it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Tom, you're good. Real good.

"You telling me to fish with a spoon or a knife," Tom said edgily. ;)

·
Registered
901 Posts
I don't fish nearly as often as I'd like - mainly because I don't care for fishing in reservoirs (which are the only things to fish in that are fairly close by the house). I grew up fishing in a small creek called Baker Creek near Big Pine, California using grasshoppers to catch & release a lot of browns every day of the summer. Unfortunately for me, that spoiled any possible appetite I'd possibly have for fishing the local reservoirs near Tooele, UT.

Now, because most of the rivers that are within an hour drive or ride have banned bait - and grasshoppers are considered "bait" - when I do fish, I've gone back to using Rooster Tail spinners with the barbs crimped down. My favorites are a black body / tail with a gold blade, and a brown body / tail with a gold blade, and overall, those do a pretty good job of enticing the wily trout.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Speaking of fishing... Did y'all happen to see this video that was posted recently?

...naturally, I can't get the video to embed. :stickpoke:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. That's why I stick to freshwater. ;)

I like the brown rooster tail a lot. Always worked well for me. I know that area, too. I've been wanting to fish out that way. I might have to plan a fishing ride...

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Dan is, I shit you not, the only person I have ever seen catch a steelhead on a bass plug.

I have pictures...

Tom

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan is, I shit you not, the only person I have ever seen catch a steelhead on a bass plug.

I have pictures...

Tom
True enough. God, that was an amazing night. Remember that sunset?

Sewer fishing. Awesome. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would love to get back into fishing as apparently I live near ground zero for steelhead. But the rule book looks like War and Peace and if you don't know how to properly fly fish then you are in danger of being sacrificed to the bears by fishermen that do.
That said, I might just have to stake out a safe bit of river bank and give it a go. I just have to figure out how to get one of those monster fly rods attached to the KLR! Ha Ha

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The book is aimed at beginning level angling.

A piece of PVC over the rear footpeg makes a good rod holder. Got my fly rod lashed on, too.

Old pic, my bike don't look like that anymore. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might have known you would have figured out a way!
Where there's a will ... ;)

(I'm not the only one with PVC pipe on my peg either.)

:character0053:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also love fishing along with motorcycle riding. I consider myself fortunate because within a few minutes i can have my boat in some of the finest freshwater fishing in the world.

Sometimes the 2 conflict but in the end I always win.

Here is a video my wife took few days back when I hooked a small muskie in Wabigoon Lake near Dryden North West Ontario Canada

http://youtu.be/sAhMCngVPf4?list=UU_A_nskIYAd8tWiLiSGlJbA

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
I've engaged in fishing with lures and flies in various locales throughout the country and have caught a lot of fish with them, but I've now settled into a groove where my favorite form of fishing is just putting some type of bait on a hook, throwing it out and waiting for something to happen. I've got a big tackle box full of artifical bait in my cellar that literally hasn't been moved or opened for 10 years. I think it's heavy on Rat-L Traps from when they were first introduced.

I'm at home in the water so boats in general don't bother me, but I really dislike fishing out of a boat, even if it means it's the only way to get to where the fish are. I always feel "cooped up" in a boat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts