Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added some Tusk crash bars to my 09 KLR. Decided to do a full check of everything that's usually covered. Plug was fine but the air box was a different story. It was crammed full of a mouse nest. Fortunately, the little bugger did not go any further as the element was intact! Time to clean the filter.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,046 Posts
I hates meeses to pieces.

My bike sits outside under a cover and doesn't get used nearly as much as I'd like it to and that leads to concerns about rodent invasion. Now, just because a thing hasn't happened is not proof that a preventative measure has worked, but I haven't had mouse problems, though I know they are in the neighborhood.

Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bag

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle part Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get a working Kitty.

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fortunately, everything else is fine. Not even holes in the filter. Maybe he didn't like the oil on the UNI.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
The mice in my shop like to stash the mouse bait into the spark plug well of the KLR and they steal my ear plugs. Damn critters!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Out of consideration for your cat, don’t leave any liquor around the shop:
“The liquor was spilt on the bar room floor and the bar was closed for the night;
The little brown mouse came out of his hole and sat in the clear moonlight;
He lapped up the liquor on the bar room floor and on his haunches he sat:
And all night long you could hear him roar "Bring on that goddam cat!"”

·
Registered
703 Posts
A common practice in the Lawn and Garden Tractor (LGT) collector community is to place fabric dryer sheets in and around vital areas of your machine i.e. critical wiring and engine areas, air filters (differently plug exhaust pipes with a shop rage or something). The thought, or reasoning behind this is, that it's understood mice don't like the smell of the dryer sheets and tend to avoid getting close or in them. Does the effectiveness of the sheets diminish over time? I'm sure it does and the sheets should be replaced every so often when your bike sits or overwinters for any length of time. Personally, I've placed a number of dryer sheets in my LGT collection over the years and I can say I haven't had a mouse problem (yet).

My 50 cents worth of useless knowledge.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of the "Lawn and Garden Tractor (LGT) collector community". For some reason I find it very funny!!!
😂 I'm sure you're not the only one, but the LGT community has a huge following and is a big business. Restorations of vintage LGTs is huge. I was involved in it for a lot a years. For me, it started out innocently but grew pretty quickly - and I never considered myself a collector. I have soooooooo many pictures of my past and current LGTs but here's just a couple. Oh yeah, it's a thing (LGT collections). An LGT collector wouldn't consider it funny, but it doesn't bother me because I know how cool it is and was for me a long time ago.

I won't describe each and every one in huge detail, but the two on the left are 1965 Round Fender 110s. Very very rare and very hard to find. The one with the armrests on the seat is my father's 1973 140H3 very popular LGT but difficult to find in good condition anymore. The only tractors I still have are the two 1965 Round Fender 110s and the 1973 140H3.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Tractor

1965 110 Round Fender (RF) fully restored. This tractor has the original engine and muffler as well. Things you don't find anymore. There are individuals who would do bad things to me if they knew I had this tractor. 🤣 I laugh?
Wheel Tire Plant Sky Vehicle

1986 316H1
Wheel Tractor Tire Riding mower Mower

Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

1973 Case 222 in original condition. That muffler is original, and you don't find those anymore. The first and ONLY all hydraulic driven tractor.
Wheel Tire Plant Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

1972 International Harvester Cub Cadet 149. Back when International Harvester actually made these tractors.
Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Plant

My father's 1973 140H3 with a custom-made John Deere 71 Flexi planter made by a gentleman who is no longer with us (John Lang) I know in Iowa. This tractor has NEVER had ANYTHING done to the Kohler K321 engine. Love this tractor and I will NEVER part with it. There are some who may want to do bad things to me if they knew I own this one too. 😏
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Plant

·
Registered
119 Posts
😂 I'm sure you're not the only one, but the LGT community has a huge following and is a big business. Restorations of vintage LGTs is huge. I was involved in it for a lot a years. For me, it started out innocently but grew pretty quickly - and I never considered myself a collector. I have soooooooo many pictures of my past and current LGTs but here's just a couple. Oh yeah, it's a thing (LGT collections). An LGT collector wouldn't consider it funny, but it doesn't bother me because I know how cool it is and was for me a long time ago.

I won't describe each and every one in huge detail, but the two on the left are 1965 Round Fender 110s. Very very rare and very hard to find. The one with the armrests on the seat is my father's 1973 140H3 very popular LGT but difficult to find in good condition anymore. The only tractors I still have are the two 1965 Round Fender 110s and the 1973 140H3.
View attachment 35939

1965 110 Round Fender (RF) fully restored. This tractor has the original engine and muffler as well. Things you don't find anymore. There are individuals who would do bad things to me if they knew I had this tractor. 🤣 I laugh?
View attachment 35940

1986 316H1
View attachment 35941
View attachment 35942

1973 Case 222 in original condition. That muffler is original, and you don't find those anymore. The first and ONLY all hydraulic driven tractor.
View attachment 35943
View attachment 35944

1972 International Harvester Cub Cadet 149. Back when International Harvester actually made these tractors.
View attachment 35945

My father's 1973 140H3 with a custom-made John Deere 71 Flexi planter made by a gentleman who is no longer with us (John Lang) I know in Iowa. This tractor has NEVER had ANYTHING done to the Kohler K321 engine. Love this tractor and I will NEVER part with it. There are some who may want to do bad things to me if they knew I own this one too. 😏
View attachment 35946
Wow!! Very awesome!!
When my Uncle had pretty much retired from farming, he would still take the John Deere 'B' out and mow the grass in the culvert. It had about a 6ft or so sickle for mowing. When he would let the clutch out on that big 2 cylinder, it would echo across the yard (pop pop pop pop) so cool! that was back in the 1970s. My Uncle is long gone now but my cousin still has the 'B'. That was in Eastern South Dakota.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
773 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of the "Lawn and Garden Tractor (LGT) collector community". For some reason I find it very funny!!!
The only abbreviation I’m familiar with is the legendary LGB-FJB. My klr sports the abbreviation on the LP :LOL:
I initially thought that abbreviation standard for “Let’s Go Tractor”!

Those tractors are pretty cool lil units! Although a shovel & a one-armed man might be more productive than those tiny suckers.

• Haha
Reactions: KBear

·
Registered
703 Posts
Those tractors are pretty cool lil units! Although a shovel & a one-armed man might be more productive than those tiny suckers.
You would be surprised I'm certain. They have far more power for a lot of different tasks then you give them credit. The companies that sold and sell LGTs did not intend them to be children's toys. I'm sure if you really knew what these tractors were like and what collectors really do and accomplish with them, you'd think twice. I'll accept your lack of knowledge regarding such things as Lawn and Garden Tractors and their respective collectors' community and chalk it up to "You learn something new every day."

Funny thing. I visited the forum I used to frequent regarding "those tiny suckers" some time ago and was booed off for wanting to discuss motorcycles. Guess it works both ways. Next thing I can expect I guess is someone to post "Why in the hell are you talking about 'Lawn and Garden Tractors' on a KLR motorcycle forum?" It's to be expected because I've been down this road (or trail 🤣 if you will).

My original point to my post was to let you know that dryer sheets MAY help to ward off the frequent rodents that like to take refuge in your motorcycle real estate.

And, No, no ill will taken. Just passing on some useless knowledge. See, you can learn something new every day, right? That's why we're here.

Reactions: lerickman4329

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
773 Posts
I'll accept your lack of knowledge regarding such things as Lawn and Garden Tractors and their respective collectors' community and chalk it up to "You learn something new every day."
Uhhhh well I am a farmer….so there’s that bit of info lol. A lawn Garden Tractor has its place just like everything else, just not anything I would need it for. I do appreciate all collector tractors, especially those little hit n miss engines. Always wanted one for no particular reason.
I suppose if I farmed a 300sq/ft piece of land, it would get the job done just fine :LOL:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts