Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ridin buddy Lynn Harrington and I had a great ride in November 2006. We both work at a resort in the Sierras, so the foothills are just down the road. We started out on highways 180 from Kings Canyon National Park towards Fresno. We then climbed up a ridge and started down the road into the Kings Canyon valley.

Lynn is loads of fun to ride with because he sees the coolest things on the side of the road. I'm too busy concentrating on the trail. He looked over and saw this abandoned gold mine.

The miners carved this shaft about 150' through solid granite before hitting a vien of quartz/gold. Every inch of the shaft was carved by hand... no sign of it having been blasted. That's a damn hard way to make a living.

Next we made it down to the Kings River below the National Park.

Then we started up the North Fork of the Kings towards Wishon Res.

We stopped for a break at Black Rock Res.

And then we headed up to Wishon Res.

After Wishon Res. we headed north towards the McKinnley Grove of Giant Sequoia trees, and Shaver Lake. It was getting pretty cold by that time and we were still about two hours from the resort, so that was the end of the pics. We found a great bacon cheeseburger place before we entered the Central Valley, and then we just made a high speed pavement run back up into the hills.

It was a great ride through beautiful country. Come on up to the National Park sometime and we will show you this ride.

Greg

·
Registered
603 Posts
Great report and pics.That old mineshaft reminds me of one close to where I live.
Definitly a special breed of men to make a living that way

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nice report! My folks and some of my wife's family are from those neck of the woods! Is there a Hume's Ranch near King's Canyon? If so, I've driven all around there. Of course at the time, no bike, so not nearly as fun! That's great that you have a buddy to ride with. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jamie,

Hume Lake is just down the road from here. I go there by trail as often as possible for their bacon cheeseburgers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts