Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my V7 Classic home today..

I've been around Guzzi's for 25 years.. Co-workers who had them were the only guys at work I could carry on an actual conversation about motorcycles.. Sport bike guys were all about wheelies and going 150mph, and the Harley guys were all about riding 10 miles to a bar..

The Guzzi guys liked to RIDE PLACES and wander, check stuff out, work on their own bikes, be comfortable and have fun. I've been a BMW rider since 1987 and the Guzzi guys were good people..

After 15 years of BMW rallies, I got tired of the BMW way, and the rallies were getting boring.. So I sorta switched to the Guzzi rallies.. Fun people, cheap admission, etc..

So, one thing led to another, and I've been admiring, with a slight case of desiring a Guzzi for a while..

Fast forward to this summer.. I decided in June that I'd spend $5K on a new (used) bike.. I looked hard for a used V7 Guzzi, but none were to be had, so I went with plan "B" and bought a nice Triumph Sprint ST..

Well, this week what I wanted became available.. This afternoon I returned home from a 1330 mile round trip to pick it up in Fayetteville, AR...

Saddlebags are supposed to arrive this week.. More photos then..

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Wow, look at the jugs on that girl!!!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Beautiful bike. I have an eye out for one myself if the price is right. Give us a ride impression when you get a chance.

A couple of years ago I nearly bought a V1000 convert with auto trans. The guy backed out though.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put 80 miles on it today.. Ride is very firm.. All reports I'd heard about the stock Metzelers were true.. They SUCK!... They follow every line on the road except the one you want to ride, and they're 5500 miles old and are about toast anyway..

I've got a set of Michelin Activs on the way, and by all reports they completely change the handling..

The bike is very cold blooded.. The FI enrichener is a must if it's cold..

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Hey Paper, now that you have another bike can I have one of your old BMW's? Promise I'd take good care of it! :c0125:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm planning on putting my R65 up for sale.. That's sort of the same thing, right?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last summer?? Well, I got the R65 in the spring and the R1200GS a couple months later..

Or are you talking about the Triumph from this summer? Cuz that one's going up for sale, too. :)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I've gotten a bit out of hand lately..

The GS is amazing.. This summer's ride out to Montana was 3500 miles in a week, in comfort.. We saw dirt roads that lead off the regular road, and just jumped on them to see where they'd go.. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
do they have AA for guys like us ?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do they have AA for guys like us ?
Well, in my case, I'm out of garage space.. Actually, I was already out of garage space, but if I take the saddlebags off the bikes, I can get more of them in...

I need to list the Triumph and get it sold.. :50:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I like those clean, simple, retro looking bikes. I wish I'd find a bike far away to give me a good excuse to travel somewhere. I guess I'd have to look far away first.

Sharp ride!

·
Registered
452 Posts
ive been eye balling the triumph retro cafe racer in the old school forrest green and bronze 900 man its sexy ..

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Nice find, Paper! Is this the first motorcycle you've ever gone and picked up without riding it back home? Glad to hear you're getting some new rubber on it. Those tires it's sporting in the photo look like the same ones on the TT Special 650 Triumph Steve McQueen was riding in "The Great Escape." I bet it will be a great bike to ride and wrench on. Congratulations and glad to hear you made it out of Arkansas in one piece!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice find, Paper! Is this the first motorcycle you've ever gone and picked up without riding it back home? Glad to hear you're getting some new rubber on it. Those tires it's sporting in the photo look like the same ones on the TT Special 650 Triumph Steve McQueen was riding in "The Great Escape." I bet it will be a great bike to ride and wrench on. Congratulations and glad to hear you made it out of Arkansas in one piece!
First bike I picked up without riding home was in 2004.. It was a 2002 KLR 650 and it's the one I still have. :) It was only 30 miles away, though.

The tires are awful, and the bike is a 2010, so it's not like they're that old.. I've run Metzeler ME33's in the past with great luck, but these are terrible.. A buddy told me to look at where they're made.. BRAZIL.. There must be a huge difference between the German tires and these..

Now to ride to work. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beautiful bike. I have an eye out for one myself if the price is right. Give us a ride impression when you get a chance.

A couple of years ago I nearly bought a V1000 convert with auto trans. The guy backed out though.
I have a 2001 Guzzi Special in white. Had a V1000 convert, hooked up a
Watsonian Palma adult/child side car. Great fun, rode my two sons around with it. Was their kindergarten/elementary school ride until it wasn't cool enough for them anymore. Remember when riding it without the side car, would often hum "Born to be wild" really fun big scooter, sorry it was sold.

Have owned 5 Guzzis and have loved them all. But hey, I love anything with two wheels that I don't have to peddle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts