Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most of you guys burn 87 or 91 or 93? Does it matter? Will any of them harm the bike somehow? Just wondering.

Also, how many miles do you put on the bike before its FIRST oil change? I'm still in the break in period. Wondering when I need change the oil for the first time. IN LUV WITH THIS BIKE!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I run 87. Run the lowest octane, then if you hear some pinging go up a grade.
Change the oil at 100, 500, then 1000, then I do mine between 2500 and 3000 from there on. Buy an oil plug with magnet tipped end also to catch any wayward stuff floating around in the sump. Take a look at Paulo's thread and see what his magnet end caught.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My opinions.

Octane really doesn't matter until you get into high compression/advanced timing on highperformance stuff. I might use midrange in the hot summer.

Oil change - What I would do. Change oil and filter at first 500 miles. Then again at 1500 and at 2500/3000 intervals thereafter. I use Rotella 15/40 in the diesels and bikes and Castrol syn in the gas trucks and car.

I would not use the syn in the bike (or anything new) until after several thousand miles breakin.

I overmaintain everything. When I find something I like, I keep it. Oil is cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am actually an engineer at an Oil refinery. This is a quote directly from the experts, "Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline. A common misconception is that power output or fuel mileage can be improved by burning higher octane fuel than a particular engine was designed for. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of its fuel, but similar fuels with different octane ratings have similar density. Since switching to a higher octane fuel does not add any more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot produce more power."

Technically, this is a quote from Wikipedia, not directly from the experts, but the experts, Chemical process engineers, agree with this.
At the end of the day, do not use more expensive gasoline unless you need it.

Austin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up an '08 and don't have an owners manual, judging by this thread the recommeded is 87? Just wanted to confirm before I fill her up, thanks!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Burn whatever she "likes", heck up here at altitude I use 85 in all my vehicles, just not enough air to burn all those hydrocarbons.

Cheers,

John

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Burn whatever she "likes", heck up here at altitude I use 85 in all my vehicles, just not enough air to burn all those hydrocarbons.

Cheers,

John
John,
Thanks for quick trip down memory lane..:)
My first trip to Colorado was on another low compression motor, my old 1992 R100RS.. I remember filling up in Kit Carson, before getting to Colorado Springs and seeing 85 octane on the pump.. I'd never seen that before!! I told the the guy I was riding with that it must be for tractors!!! ;)

Here in the Midwest, I never see anything lower than 87, and I noticed that as I travel east I seldom see anything lower than 89..

And my bike ran just fine on 85 octane, as did the other bikes during other trips out there over the years.

I need to get back to Colorado.. I once kicked around moving to Salida..

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Low compression AND an excellent cooling system. Run low grade and don't worry about a thing.
If it pings a bit under load, as stated, go up one grade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts