Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was going to ride with me on my 2007 KLR650 tonight. I couldn't pull out of the driveway with her on it. When I gave it the gas and eased off the clutch, it would start to die. This happened several times in a row. I decided the fuel must be low, and her weight on the back changed the angle enough that it wasn't getting fuel. I took it up onto level ground and tried it again. We got started but it ran rough through the neighborhood so I came back home. I dropped her off, took it to the store (ran smooth) and topped off the fuel. It took 3.6 gallons. I came home and tried it again with a full tank. Same thing.

What could cause that? The bike is new to me, but it performs like a champ on my 40 mile roundtrip commute. No problems at all.

By the way, I weigh 200, and she weighs 120, so we weren't pushing the GVWR.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I would check your chain tension. There should still be slight slop in the chain when you're sitting on the bike with all your weight..

If it's tight, the extra weight of your wife might have have been enought to make it so tight that it wouldn't turn..

Check the tension..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't the kickstand. Someone on another forum suggested spark plug, and that sort of makes sense. It backfired once when we finally started riding through the neighborhood.

Chain tension. That's worth checking. I immediately thought it had something to do with the back end sitting lower. It's bedtime now, but tomorrow evening we'll check the chain tension with a full load. Spark plug too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts