Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the exhaust system/mufflers the same from 2008 on up? Anyone ever checked the decibel level(s)? Do you consider the stock muffler a Quite” one? .Since I have not bought a used KLR yet, I’m just curious.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I concider the stock muffler pretty quiet.
On the freeway with a full face helmet, the exhaust isn’t heard except slightly when accelerating hard.
It’s noise level and sound/pitch has been compared to a lawn mower, which I think is pretty accurate.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
The big ugly heavy zig-zag shaped steel oem muffler is the quietest muffler available & I like'em.

I'd rather drill 4 one inch holes into the straight top section of the dirty air box, above & behind the battery to allow more intake 'honk' than to open the muffler.

The bike will breath easier, run stronger and the rider hears the noise instead of the by-standers and everybody else behind a loud muffler.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The big ugly heavy zig-zag shaped steel oem muffler is the quietest muffler available & I like'em.

I'd rather drill 4 one inch holes into the straight top section of the dirty air box, above & behind the battery to allow more intake 'honk' than to open the muffler.

The bike will breath easier, run stronger and the rider hears the noise instead of the by-standers and everybody else behind a loud muffler.
I was also considering an aftermarket muffler because of how ugly the OEM is, but you can't beat how quiet it is. That Lexx exhaust seems to be the quietest aftermarket available but still much louder than the OEM. Does anyone know of any other quiet aftermarket mufflers? (stupid question haha)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Leo Vince X3 exhaust may be a touch quieter than your LEXX exhaust.

The Leo Vince X3 is baffled muffler, instead of a glass-pack like your LEXX, so the Leo Vince X3 never needs repacking like an OEM never needs repacking.

I don't own a LEXX yet, I was just referring to some reviews I've seen. My internet research makes me an expert! Haha just kidding. Once again thanks for the tip. Ill look into the Leo Vince.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Considering the later model mufflers incorporate a catalytic converter inside they may be a couple decibels quieter than early mufflers, but one would need a meter to compare.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I was not aware they started using Cats in the 2008. I don’t have an issue with that providing they clear and not restricting by build up or whatever.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think the cats started later. Possibly 2010 ?

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
yes, cats were later; around 2010.

There is nothing as quiet as the stock muffler (around 89db IIRC) and since I like quiet, I have nothing bad to say about keeping the stocker......however it is very heavy and ugly.

My silencer post:

A subjective topic but to recap recent discussions;

I don't like loud but I've replaced the stock silencers on both KLR's for several reasons, namely; lighter weight (5 - 7 lbs), better tone, better looks. .....I wouldn't recommend it thinking there will be a noticeable increase in power, nor would I put much faith in manufacturer's that claim much in the way of HP increases (with no other changes).

After much research and some testing, I like the LeoVince X3 which is relatively quiet at 94db, doesn't require repacking (the only one that doesn't AFAIK, except for the ridiculously expensive Staintune out of Australia), looks decent and has a spark arrestor and USFS compliance. Runner up would be the Lexx with the optional trail insert; also around 94db but it does require periodic repacking. I also like the FMF Q4 but it is a bit louder (though still trail compliant) at 96db (keep in mind that the increase in decibels isn't linear).

There are a great many aftermarket silencers on the market that are far too loud IMO and you'd do best to avoid them.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just came across the Lexx Trail Saver Quiet Core Insert on the web. Seems to quiet the Lexx exhaust pretty substantially. Its ugly as hell but dam this might be the answer to finding an aftermarket exhaust for the KLR that's as quiet as the stocker. Anyone have experience with these? Im going to get one soon and ill let you all know how it goes

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/lexx-mxe-trail-saver-quiet-core-insert-p

Theres a pretty good video about it too.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Just came across the Lexx Trail Saver Quiet Core Insert on the web. Seems to quiet the Lexx exhaust pretty substantially. Its ugly as hell but dam this might be the answer to finding an aftermarket exhaust for the KLR that's as quiet as the stocker. Anyone have experience with these? Im going to get one soon and ill let you all know how it goes

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/lexx-mxe-trail-saver-quiet-core-insert-p

Theres a pretty good video about it too.
Interesting; the 94db I quoted earlier was with the regular quiet core (which they say is 95db). I'm skeptical they could get to the 85 they quoted for their KTM but if it can get to stock levels, it'd be the first aftermarket silencer out there that could get there.

I was thinking of buying another LV X3 to replace my FMF Q4 on my 2001 (love the X3 on my 2000) but I may buy a Lexx with this new insert if it really pulls it down below 90db.

If you get one, please let us know how it compares to stock sound levels.

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m glad to see/get this info. It seems like a lot of the used KLRs out there for sale have had the exhaust changed. Some owners kept the OEM to go with the bike when reselling, but many had not. I want mine as quiet as possible. I understand the 2nd gen bikes have a decent low DB for a stock exhaust. But If I end up buying a used KLR, now at least I know which exhaust to buy. I also have a DB meter. Same as one /some of you guys on here ( Radio Shack) it’s fairly accurate. Variables being angle ( should be at 45deg. ),distance( should be 3-5 ft away to the rear, same side as exhaust) ? Correct me if I’m wrong on the positions and distance. Also take into account the temp,humidity, ambient noise and how close to objects and or walls for sound waves to bounce off of. I believe there is an phone app. for taking DB levels. One other thing. Did the 2 gen (2008 and up) KLRs get Catalytic converters built into the exhaust ? Or what yr specific was that program started ? Also guessing all year models had spark arresters. Do any yr models burn out or go away from high mileage or whatever ? Thanks for your replies.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Gen 1 & Gen 2 db should be same/same with OEM mufflers.

2010 or 2011 is the actual introduction date of the catalytic converters on USA model KLR650's, inspite of promotional material / owners handbook suggestions.

All years, all models, all brands of street legal motorcycles sold in North America have been required to have spark arrested OEM exhaust systems since the 1960's to the best of my knowledge.

ps, I'm still running my 1987 OEM muffler on my 1987 model. Slightly modified, but still spark arrested, to the best of my ability/knowledge.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I’m glad to see/get this info. It seems like a lot of the used KLRs out there for sale have had the exhaust changed. Some owners kept the OEM to go with the bike when reselling, but many had not. I want mine as quiet as possible. I understand the 2nd gen bikes have a decent low DB for a stock exhaust. But If I end up buying a used KLR, now at least I know which exhaust to buy. I also have a DB meter. Same as one /some of you guys on here ( Radio Shack) it’s fairly accurate. Variables being angle ( should be at 45deg. ),distance( should be 3-5 ft away to the rear, same side as exhaust) ? Correct me if I’m wrong on the positions and distance. Also take into account the temp,humidity, ambient noise and how close to objects and or walls for sound waves to bounce off of. I believe there is an phone app. for taking DB levels. One other thing. Did the 2 gen (2008 and up) KLRs get Catalytic converters built into the exhaust ? Or what yr specific was that program started ? Also guessing all year models had spark arresters. Do any yr models burn out or go away from high mileage or whatever ? Thanks for your replies.
What is the db level of you Indian Scout exhaust? Just wonderin'!

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
What Paul said. Further; the addition of the cat hasn't made any noticeable difference in sound output that I've noticed. The stock silencer is quiet, requires no maintenance, has a spark arrestor and is bulletproof.....it remains a good choice. It's also heavy and kinda ugly which is why I've swapped mine out but finding an aftermarket unit that checks all the boxes isn't easy and most are WAY too loud IMO. I've touted the LeoVince X3 as the best of the best but if this LEXX with the insert is really quieter, then it might be worth the periodic maintenance and slightly lesser build quality compared to the LV.

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good info.i want my ( to be) KLR to be very quiet. That way I can sneak out very early in the am, ride just about anywhere without bothering anyone. I guess I’m being Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hide since my other street bike is a bit loud.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
....keep in mind that any db test is only going to be as accurate as the tester (device) and the tester (person). Methods vary widely. I'd suggest that, like a dyno, it's more useful as a tool to compare two different bikes/exhausts than it it to establish guaranteed db ratings.

Dave

1 - 20 of 49 Posts