Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I hear good things about the OEM tank bag. The only issue is that it says it isn't safe for matte or satin tanks.

My question is whether I can safely use it on my 2015 matte black KLR without too much damage. Here is a pic of my bike's tank for reference.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Just wonderin' . . . would ANY tank bag be "safe" for matte or satin tanks?

Put an OEM tank bag on my non-matte/satin tank about eight years ago; kinda never took it off--don't know how safe that application might be.

The tank bag's quite serviceable, regardless; expandable, provides ready access to fuel tank cap opening without undoing anything.

Rode a Versys a couple of thousand miles with a great big premium Wolfman aftermarket tank bag; marvelous piece of luggage, but . . . had to un-Velcro straps at every fuel stop. No idea if such a bag would be kinder to your tank finish than an OEM bag; you might contact the manufacturer with a query.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'll suggest that ALL paint on ALL motorcycles are subject to paint damage when subjected to the dust which inevitably gets between the bags (tank bags, saddle bags, sleeping bags) and the painted surfaces.

I've No Idea if the matt finishes are tenderer or not?
Are sheepskin padded bags kinder to finishes or not?
Would a micro-fiber towel be kinder than a sheepskin?
Would Clear Plastic number plate background detract from the appearance of the matt finish?
Check out this, 12x17 Vinyl Colored Sheets

I'll say the rubber pad on my Wolfman Explorer tank bag is Not Kind, at all!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was going to say if you are worried about scuffing the paint, cover it with a stick on vinyl mat. Truckers do this to fenders to help stop against stone chips. That or plasti dip the tank side under the bag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts