Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last purchase before some long riding..I don,t think I want my Sidi or BMW boots to do this new type of riding that I am re-learning; so suggestions on the type/brand boot to buy would be much appreciated. As always, thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My last purchase before some long riding..I don,t think I want my Sidi or BMW boots to do this new type of riding that I am re-learning; so suggestions on the type/brand boot to buy would be much appreciated. As always, thanks in advance..

What's your budget? You can spend $500 on boots. If you haven't riden in real off-road boots before it will take some getting used to on your part. They are stiff (for protection), you'll need to adjust your foot controls and learn how to shift and brake by raisng/moving your foot (vs. flexing your ankle).

Check out Rocky Mt.'s boot reviews. I wouldn't be scared of the A.R.C. boots. I've been wearing Alpinstar Tech 6's for about 10 years now and they are showing the wear but are still functional. The new Tech 3s are comparable (from what I've read) and they are what I would buy now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fox Comp 5 boots are a good mid-height boot with all the amenities of a motocross boot without the stiffness. I use mine almost everyday. They run about 100 bucks...

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
I have the Gaerne Explorer boot. It's a cross between a moto cross boot and a road boot. I believe they are still available at about $175.

The boot has shin protection and Vibram soles, and a 3-clasp closure. Alas, they are not waterproof.

The newer boot is the Gaerne G-Adventure, at about $250.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gaerne-g-adventure-boots?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=Footwear&utm_keyword=gaerne-g-adventure-boots

These are purported to be waterproof and seem to have the same design features as the Explorer.

If you have wide feet, the Gaernes are cut for wide feet. That was a real plus for me. I you have skinny feet they may be a bit sloppy in the arch.

T

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have Thor 50/50s. I use them daily for on and off road riding. I love them. Very comfortable. Grippy on and off road. Easy to take on and off. Can easily walk around in them. I wear them more than my normal shoes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oh ya. The Thor 50/50s are not water proof. But I live in AZ so it's not a huge issue for me. But they do breath well. And the few times I have soaked them (as in had to pour water out of them after taking them off) they dried just sitting on the floor before the next morning. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have Thor 50/50s. I use them daily for on and off road riding. I love them. Very comfortable. Grippy on and off road. Easy to take on and off. Can easily walk around in them. I wear them more than my normal shoes.

Doesn't look like they offer much protection for off-road.

Typically real off-road boots have a rigid shell around the ankle. That will protect the ankle joint from lateral injuries and impact injuries. Also boots need to extend much further up the leg to protect the shin.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree. It's not a moto x boot at all. And our bikes aren't moto x bikes.
I simply meant they're easy to walk around in compared to moto x boots, which I guess I should have stated. I assumed it would be assumed.
I wouldn't wear them moto crossing ever. But for "KLR" style riding, they're more than fine and I ride pretty briskly and have planted a foot down pretty hard and they've held up well.
They're rigid enough that I avoid stairs with them else I have to walk weird.
In any case, I'd rather not wear moto x boots for KLR style riding. I grew up riding in the Mojave desert (grew up in 29 Palms. Was all I had to do pretty much) and for my style of riding on a KLR, they're perfect, hence I threw them out there as a suggestion.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I hope my post doesn't read as if I'm being an ass. I have been on the phone with this client forever now and it's hard to focus. I can only multi-task so much. That and I'm on 1.5 hours of sleep. So I hope my post makes sense.
/cheers.

Oh, a wide variety of boots could be referenced unless more specific riding requirements are stated. I've broken my feet and ankles enough times to know that good boots are key.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I hope my post doesn't read as if I'm being an ass. I have been on the phone with this client forever now and it's hard to focus. I can only multi-task so much. That and I'm on 1.5 hours of sleep. So I hope my post makes sense.
/cheers.

Oh, a wide variety of boots could be referenced unless more specific riding requirements are stated. I've broken my feet and ankles enough times to know that good boots are key.

No problemo...

I wear full up off-road boots all the time. I tipped over my KLR and had the peg dig into my ankle in a parking lot! Glad I had the boots on.

To me I don't see the difference between banging your foot on a rock or a Buick.

Broken foot or ankle history, $500 doesn't sound like much huh? I'd be wearing top of the line Alpinestar's or Sidi's.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I really like the Alpinestars Scouts I bought from 60/40, they're awesome boots! They are not as ridgid as full blown MX boots, but are stiff enough that I think they would offer good protection off road. The bonus is, you can still walk and hike with them. You don't have to alter your shifting with them much either as they still have some ankle flex. I think for me this is the perfect dual sport boot. Boots are kind of subjective though, what works for one person might not work for the other so your mileage may vary :)

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No problemo...

I wear full up off-road boots all the time. I tipped over my KLR and had the peg dig into my ankle in a parking lot! Glad I had the boots on.

To me I don't see the difference between banging your foot on a rock or a Buick.

Broken foot or ankle history, $500 doesn't sound like much huh? I'd be wearing top of the line Alpinestar's or Sidi's.
I agree, one encounter with your shin across the footpeg can ruin your whole day and them some. I opt for AStars Tech3's for off road use. I just wish they were waterproof. Sealskinz are a good option if your boots are not waterproof.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wear my Vega waterproof M/C boots both on and off road. $49.95 at outlets and stores everywhere. Cheap, but good compromise for those who don't want to spend more.

CW

·
Registered
269 Posts
just wanted to say how much i am loving my Astars Scouts. got about 6 rides on em. i was planning on SIDIs but these fit me way better and were less $. my shifting is a little more of a twist than a pivot now, but a pretty easy transition. one of my proudest investments for the bikes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have tried a bunch of boots on. I have size 12 WIDE/FLAT feet. Also have plates in both feet...Guy @ shop suggested Gaerne balance oiled boot. Does anyone have them or know anything about them? I know they are pricey--but I hate it when my dogs are barking!

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts