Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
I am looking to start a fight!:)
Which generation of KLR is better for off road use and what changes are recomended to make either into a capable trail machine. All semi-intelligent replies are accepted.:laugh2:

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I've never ridden a Gen1, but it would seem they have less breakable plastic than the newer ones. My recommendations would be an effective metal skid plate to prevent damage to the engine oil drain plug and some metal foot pegs instead of the stock rubber ones. Besides tires, after that it seems most lean toward adding things like crash bars and better hand guards to protect the levers and plastic, radiator and fan, etc. in the case of the inevitable tipover. I believe that even in its stock form, the limiting factor on trails for either model would be the skill of the rider, not the machine itself.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i thought my bike was lousy offroad compared to my 2001 klr .. all over the hard pack even ..then i thought wonder if i aired down it would help?

then it was night and day and having a blast !!!

next is protection guards on your belly engine and levers its a heavy pig its going to slide and fall .. its the diffrence of riding home or pushing ..

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Personally I don't think there is a difference between the two generations of KLRs any more, I used to. The newer gen has stronger forks, thats about it if you stick to a stock set up. You have to protect each bike basically the same.
The real question is, how far do you want to swing towards the best off-road capabilities? If you are seriously wanting a better trail machine you need to swap the front forks and rear shock from what the real hardcore guys are saying. I haven't done that as I'm a 99% street rider(pavement and gravel) with the odd ride on a hydro line trail. I just love the looks of the fatter forks.
I'm going off again...sorry....
So, both bikes need the same protection, both have the same power to weight, both are super heavy to honk on an off-road trail imho.

It's a personal choice once again.

I like the less fairing style bike and have an 04. There is just so much out front on the 08's and up....but that is just me once again.:13:

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 85 KL600 is probably the best suited of the KLRs for off road, as it is lighter than all of the later models. (134 kg vs 168kg) However, compared to a true dirt bike it is still quite heavy.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I've done it quite a bit and can say that while the bigger dualsports can be a lot of fun on trails and single-tracks, they're not near as much fun as something in the 250cc class. Dealing with the aftermath of getting a big KLR stuck in a mud hole or tipped over on its side on a hill can be a real handful. Don't ask me how I know.

The best addition you can make to a KLR when off-roading is a riding partner (or 2) along with you to help you out of any potential jams. KLR's offroad are kind of like humans. As long as they're conscious, they're fairly easy to move around. If they're unconscious (i.e. on their side, stuck in a mudhole and won't run or can't get traction, etc.) they seem like they weigh 10 times as much.

Disclaimer: Those last two sentences didn't sound very good. I am not a serial killer and I've never transported or disposed of a human body.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done it quite a bit and can say that while the bigger dualsports can be a lot of fun on trails and single-tracks, they're not near as much fun as something in the 250cc class. Dealing with the aftermath of getting a big KLR stuck in a mud hole or tipped over on its side on a hill can be a real handful. Don't ask me how I know.

The best addition you can make to a KLR when off-roading is a riding partner (or 2) along with you to help you out of any potential jams. KLR's offroad are kind of like humans. As long as they're conscious, they're fairly easy to move around. If they're unconscious (i.e. on their side, stuck in a mudhole and won't run or can't get traction, etc.) they seem like they weigh 10 times as much.

Disclaimer: Those last two sentences didn't sound very good. I am not a serial killer and I've never transported or disposed of a human body.
Seems like a lot of trouble, carrying a person around all the time in case you get stuck! To carry two just doesn't seem possible.:50:
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble, carrying a person around all the time in case you get stuck! To carry two just doesn't seem possible.:50:
Regards....justjeff
A lot of people overlook this, but it's good riding etiquette to also carry a pair of hiking boots, some bottled water and energy bars for your partner to use as they walk out for help while you remain to "guard the bike against juvenile delinquents, pot farmers or inbred hillbillies."

You're welcome for the setup, by the way. :)

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Of course, the downside to this practice is that they can leave you stranded in a hole and snap pictures and then post them on Facebook for all your friends to see and then laugh at you.....

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
It seems to me of all the things you can do to improve the off-road capability of either model, tires would be the first and most important consideration.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planning to do a lot more remote riding next year. I have the crash protection, tires and such handled. I also have aquired a Gen1 to go along with my Gen2. I was thinking of modding the Gen1 for more extreme trails and having the Gen2 as the long range touring bike.
What I am wondering is what the weak spots are and what the recommended fixes are, more in relation to the chassis. I understand the Gen1 has longer travel in stock form.
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I also have aquired a Gen1 to go along with my Gen2. I was thinking of modding the Gen1 for more extreme trails and having the Gen2 as the long range touring bike.

Regards....justjeff
Good move. That's what I'd do if I had both a Gen1 and Gen2. It will be interesting to see how you set up the Gen1. Let us know what you do to it and how it works out.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I would imagine the 1st gen to be a little better off road as well... It's a little lighter and uses the tupperware plastics vs the rigid plastics of the Gen 2's... Having 2 machines I would set it up exactly as you are planning, then you get the best of both worlds!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would imagine the 1st gen to be a little better off road as well... It's a little lighter and uses the tupperware plastics vs the rigid plastics of the Gen 2's... Having 2 machines I would set it up exactly as you are planning, then you get the best of both worlds!
We will have to get together for a ride next year stew!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally I don't think there is a difference between the two generations of KLRs any more, I used to. The newer gen has stronger forks, thats about it if you stick to a stock set up. You have to protect each bike basically the same.
The real question is, how far do you want to swing towards the best off-road capabilities? If you are seriously wanting a better trail machine you need to swap the front forks and rear shock from what the real hardcore guys are saying. I haven't done that as I'm a 99% street rider(pavement and gravel) with the odd ride on a hydro line trail. I just love the looks of the fatter forks.
I'm going off again...sorry....
So, both bikes need the same protection, both have the same power to weight, both are super heavy to honk on an off-road trail imho.

It's a personal choice once again.

I like the less fairing style bike and have an 04. There is just so much out front on the 08's and up....but that is just me once again.:13:

Hi Willys!
Do you have info on what forks and shocks they are using and where to get them?
Regards....justjeff:desismiley1:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There are so many that it's hard to say which is best so to speak.....most of the MX USB forks are what people are going after. I'm pretty sure all need to be modified with regards to the stem length or bearings that fit our steering head. I'm sorry I'm not much help.
Search here or on KLRWorld because there have been many many threads started on this topic and answers to your question for sure.
Again sorry.....:13:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
There are so many that it's hard to say which is best so to speak.....most of the MX USB forks are what people are going after. I'm pretty sure all need to be modified with regards to the stem length or bearings that fit our steering head. I'm sorry I'm not much help.
Search here or on KLRWorld because there have been many many threads started on this topic and answers to your question for sure.
Again sorry.....:13:

I always wonder about those conversions. You almost double the weight that the mx suspension was designed for. Who makes springs at the right rates and how would you set up the valveing?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts