Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys... here it is! Just arrived 5 minutes ago from Woody's Wheel Works and I'm giddy with excitement!

Pics and Part Numbers as Promised:

To my door cost was $364.70 Price included $20 shipping and $99 Lacing and True 40.

Notice the phatty spokes!

See where they drilled the holes, and looks as if they even enlarged the holes as well.

Now for the technical bits and pieces.

The Invoice lists the item number for the rim:
? PMREXC: Rim Excel 2.50x18 w/o Insignia = $178 <-- not sure what that means, as we can all the the insignia in the pic.
Stainless Steel Spokes:
? PMSNSZ: SS Spokes & Zartan Nipples = $95. <-- If you have to have black spokes, they would add an additional $3 per spoke! (They suggested against since they would have to be Parkerized, since they are stainless and not anodized like aluminum.)

So there it is... all the info I've got. Now, for those of you that can "Superlace" and True your own wheel you can save $99. (I am guessing Superlace means also enlarging the holes at the correct angles)

Yay! Now I've got to go find a good tire combo!

www.WoodysWheelWorks.com

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Darn that is nice. What hub did you use? I hate to use the hub from the stock 21" but the eBay hubs are going for $200+. How long before you do the rear rim in black?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's my stock hub. No real way around it. I'll be doing the rear sooner than later, as mine had to be banged back into submission, and it's not quite true anymore.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't afford it either... my boss paid for it, for all of my hard work and extra hours I put in. (Salary sucks sometimes)

But in the end, it really wasn't very much. I thought it'd be more. Had I known... I could have put $50 aside every paycheck. I hope this helps people who want to do this mod, but have no idea how much or where to even start. I know I was clueless, and any information I could find was sketchy at best.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Boshar said:
Dang! I'm glad to see some part numbers on this, even if the price is beyond my reach. Looks pretty good...
i built my own for about $160,not that far out of reach.

looking good ,biker scout!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dan'g, those spokes are huge! Once you get this wheel trued, ride it a bit and true it again, it's never going to budge!!!

I'm not sure on the black alloy with the yellow writing but on the silver wheel and the red writing, I thought the writing was anodized but after cleaning some sticky gunk off the wheel with alcohol, I smeared the writing. So, if you want to keep it looking good - avoid alcohol :lol:

Also, I drilled rim locks into both the new excel front and the stock rear. I used an old 3/8" black and decker drill and thought I'd never get it through the excel rim. I was expecting the same thing with stocker but it zipped right through. That excel rims is definitly strong!

Like to hear your impressions on how it rides when you get a tire on. Also, what tire are you going with?

Doug

·
Registered
357 Posts
After days of searching I have yet to come up with the excel part #PMREXC. Any specifics as to which bike this rim was originally designed for?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That might be an internal part number. I'm guessing they just buy blank wheel rings since they can drill them out in house. Give them a call, and see if you can fanegel the info out of them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not a bad deal on a wheel that nice. I've seen used KLR wheels on ebay go for $150 or more. That wheel should take a heck of a lot more abuse. That floating rotor setup is sweat also.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of pics with my new Kenda 761's installed.

BTW... with this particular tire on the front and rear, the front being 110/80/18 is the same diameter as the rear 130/90/17

(I think the front is installed backwards... but the guy said it's correct. I still don't believe him however)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot. 8)

I don't know the specific weight of the whole thing, but I do know that the Large Rotor is only 42 grams heavier than the stock rotor. I did weigh those.

I'll weigh the entire wheel and tire together tonight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts