Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well done, Chris. Apparently, you are a true KLRista. Read: frugal.

About $27.50 cheaper than my Eagle Mike quick jack and prolly works just as good.

Congrats again, you cheap SO...:animal0024:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
That's hilarious and it works too! Somthing about a bike on a crutch tickles my funny bone! Cheapbasturd would be proud. :sign0173:
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
Well done, Chris. Apparently, you are a true KLRista. Read: frugal.

About $27.50 cheaper than my Eagle Mike quick jack and prolly works just as good.

Congrats again, you cheap SO...:animal0024:
Agreed. I think you have a real edge over the EM QJ with that rubber foot.

·
Registered
415 Posts
And the silver lining (?) of riding like I do? Free crutches every year!

All I have to do is go don to the hospital with a busted up leg and they just give me a set!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
so whats the procedure for getting the bike up on it? stick it on and back the bike up or reverse of that?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so whats the procedure for getting the bike up on it? stick it on and back the bike up or reverse of that?
Scrapper, with the bike sitting on the kickstand I just turn the handlebars to the right then while kneeling on the right side I grab the rear rack handle and push the bike over further onto the kickstand then normal. Once this has been done and I have the rear tire off the ground I wedge the crutch in place. Pretty simple really.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Can you show a pic of just the stand? Looks like it might be forked and goes around both sides of the swing arm.

I can't get my bike to be stable on the EM stand. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I went back to my original setup, but I like the crutch.

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
I've found with the small metal "L" at the top and the small metal foot, it's imperative that the EM Quick Jack stay perfectly vertical when in use. Any slight lean to it and there's a good chance either the foot will slip on the ground or the bike will slip on the jack. It's not very forgiving of placement, especially on gravel or pavement.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you show a pic of just the stand? Looks like it might be forked and goes around both sides of the swing arm.

I can't get my bike to be stable on the EM stand. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I went back to my original setup, but I like the crutch.
Here you go Cabrito, yes it is forked and I am amazed at how stable it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
most excellent, can we get a tape measure on this thing so we can copy cat?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
most excellent, can we get a tape measure on this thing so we can copy cat?
Here you go Scrapper, hope it helps. I used it set at the 19 inch mark to change the rear tire this weekend . As you can see I cut it off at 2 1/8th above center stand. then wrapped black tape around the ends.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey guys Rebar here in Friendswood Tx
I haven't seen it mentioned but I always lock the front brake with a small shock cord to stableize the bike when I raise the rear wheel. Leave it in gear to raise the front wheel. Ride safe James

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
Hey guys Rebar here in Friendswood Tx
I haven't seen it mentioned but I always lock the front brake with a small shock cord to stableize the bike when I raise the rear wheel. Leave it in gear to raise the front wheel. Ride safe James
Good points and things I forget to do every single time I put my bike up on the quick-jack.

Goes without saying, but also break all your hardware loose before you jack it and torque it after it's safely back on the ground.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a GREAT solution, Chris26! I'm gonna go sneak those crutches out of the corner of the closet where they've been stashed.... he he.
OH, and I usually carry some velcro tie-wraps (the cheap 8" ones from Harbor Freight) for "emergency brake" ties.
This is awesome! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts