Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gotta have tunes to ride. I think it's the sign of an empty brain.

My GPS has a built-in MP3 player, but the volume needs to be cranked way up to hear it. I tried a Boostaroo, but it didn't quite work out like I wanted it. Great for on an airplane with sound-canceling headphones, but not so great on the bike.

This thing, the AmpliRider, was something I found while surfing the net looking for something better. The cool thing is that it's made for bikes! WoooHoooo!

Here's what it looks like out of the box:

Opened up, it's obvious that it's a quality build. I wish I could do this kind of work:

I modified the power supply lines to come out the back:

Here's how I set up to mount it on my handlebar brace:

I picked up power from my usual power points on the back of the cluster - these are switched from the ignition. You can't pull a lot of power from here, but it's enough to run the GPS and the AmpliRider:

And here's what it looks like installed:

The AmpliRider is made by an especially friendly Canadian guy and costs $58US. You order from him via e-mail, and what blew me away was that he answers e-mails really quickly and keeps you advised of what's going on. I was really happy with that!

There are three inputs in the back that will mix, so you can plug in your GPS, your MP3 player, and your Radar detector and hear all three. Jammin' to tunes, listening to directions, and warned about Smokie up ahead..it don't get no better. Almost totally wired!

I don't have a ton of miles on it, but so far I'm really jazzed (heh). The amp puts out plenty of power for my Iasus speakers, and the volume control is really handy.

If you're into tunes, check it out.

Tom

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Great report and you spelled Canadian wrong but we're all "especially friendly" around here.

Does the sound from the GPS or Radar Detector take priority over music and override it?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great report and you spelled Canadian wrong...
Fixed that....

...Does the sound from the GPS or Radar Detector take priority over music and override it?
I don't believe there is a priority input. The thing mixes the signals and you hear everything. So, if you are listening to the 1812 Overture and the radar detector goes off at the same time as a cannon, you might not hear it.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I still like to listen to the engine and my tinnitus, Tom said quietly. ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's cool. I've been looking for a way to mount my Zune as well. I wonder how weatherproof it is as I'm a year round rider.
PS and OT: What's the LCD display lower on the bars?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is it like being out in this craziness? My curiosity is not strong enough to override my fear of riding in the rain, yet.
Well, was pouring down buckets yesterday as I was riding in. I thought that it would be an excellent opportunity to really test how well the 761s work in the wet, but I ride like a man with a paper asshole when it's wet out.

The funny thing was that I didn't wear my rainsuit yesterday. Dunno why, just left the house with out it. Might as well have been butt naked. I was drenched when I got in.

It was, and always is, a whole lot of fun riding in the rain. I don't know why, but I just like it.

The big storm is supposed to be coming in today. My wife drove me to work to day, as we have a basketball game to attend this evening. I take the bus to UCLA and we drive home together. The KLR is snug in the garage....

Tom

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've run the stocks in the rain a few times. I've honestly got nothing to compare them to as I refused to ride my ducati in the rain when I had it. But, I'm comfortable with them in the rain.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same here. I road about 40 miles in the rain and didn't fall down. That's all I can say...

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Well, was pouring down buckets yesterday as I was riding in. I thought that it would be an excellent opportunity to really test how well the 761s work in the wet, but I ride like a man with a paper asshole when it's wet out.

The funny thing was that I didn't wear my rainsuit yesterday. Dunno why, just left the house with out it. Might as well have been butt naked. I was drenched when I got in.

It was, and always is, a whole lot of fun riding in the rain. I don't know why, but I just like it.

The big storm is supposed to be coming in today. My wife drove me to work to day, as we have a basketball game to attend this evening. I take the bus to UCLA and we drive home together. The KLR is snug in the garage....

Tom
Rain is awesome. Always loved playing soccer and football in the rain, too. I was remarking to Frankie and Karen the other day how funny it is that most people "decide" rain is toxic somewhere in their early twenties I'd guess. Watching the kids stomp in puddles while their parents act like we're under mortar fire cracks me up. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I love the rain. I guess living in Phoenix makes me appreciate it all the more. Pretty much every time it rains, my XJ and KLR both end up covered in mud mysteriously.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This may sound totally crazy … But take the unit off the bike and leave it in Rice over night….. it will work like a charm the next day…

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This may sound totally crazy … But take the unit off the bike and leave it in Rice over night….. it will work like a charm the next day…
Thanks for that tip, though I don't think it would work in this case. The thing is so NOT waterproof that it actually fills up with water. You can see water between the plastic and the LCD, and the clock and voltage readouts die. The temperature readout still works. It dries out in a day or so and starts working again.

I may try that trick on my GPS, though. It tends to get a bit damp, though shows no outward effects.

Tom

1 - 20 of 32 Posts