Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 has burned oil since turning over 3,000 miles. It has 12,000 on it now. I add about a half-pint of oil every other gas up...sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how much time I spend above 4,500 rpms. Anyhow, I thought I'd check my spark plug...just to see whether (or how badly) it was getting fouled. I was mildly surprised, and somewhat relieved to see that the plug looked pretty good. See pic below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
clogan,
Todays 4 stroke engine oil, seems to burn as clean as a good 2 stroke engine oil. Have you noticed, we rarely see any oil smoke, from hardly any vehicles?
KLR's included.

Looks perfectly normal, did you re-check the gap and re-install?
Or replace?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gap was good...just reinstalled it. Went to ride this morning; had to add 8 oz of oil.

I never see any smoke. However, I do have to clean the black soot off my fender (aft of exhaust) every month or so.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My '09 has burned oil since turning over 3,000 miles. It has 12,000 on it now. I add about a half-pint of oil every other gas up...sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how much time I spend above 4,500 rpms. Anyhow, I thought I'd check my spark plug...just to see whether (or how badly) it was getting fouled. I was mildly surprised, and somewhat relieved to see that the plug looked pretty good. See pic below.

My 08 has burned oil for about 55K miles. I used to keep records for any pending class action suits :50:.

I calculated that it was running about a 100:1 gas to oil ratio. My spark plugs never looked oil fouled.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 08 has burned oil for about 55K miles. I used to keep records for any pending class action suits :50:.

I calculated that it was running about a 100:1 gas to oil ratio. My spark plugs never looked oil fouled.
Well, out of curiosity, here's my calculation:
8 ounces of oil consumed after two fill ups, of, say 3.5 gallons each. That's a ratio of (2*3.5*128):8, or, about 112:1.
Pretty much in line with Spec. However, I'm not real sure about # of gas ups...coulda been three...maybe I'll keep a closer watch on it just out of curiosity.....

Nah, I'd rather just fill her up and go ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts