Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 with 1850 miles. I had the 600 mile oil change service done. Today I noticed that the oil was barely showing oil. So I gave it a quart of oil. Now the glass is full. What are my options here? I shall check the oil everyday now!!! However I know I checked every couple of days. That would mean in the last 250-300 mile it burned that much oil. That's insane!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Please tell me you checked it with the bike straight upright, right?

·
Lifetime Member
2,485 Posts
2011 with 1850 miles. I had the 600 mile oil change service done. Today I noticed that the oil was barely showing oil. So I gave it a quart of oil. Now the glass is full. What are my options here? I shall check the oil everyday now!!! However I know I checked every couple of days. That would mean in the last 250-300 mile it burned that much oil. That's insane!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike
Personally, I would take it back to the dealer (it's still under warranty right?) That's excessive by any standards.

Just wondering too, have you ever added oil to it before?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, that's crazy dood. You sure the gnomes aren't syphoning your oil? ;)

Sorry, not trying to make light. That sucks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought. I haven't been dogging it. It's tripping me out really. I've read all about it on here. I really didn't think it would happen to this bike. Guess I was wrong!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all good. This old boy doesn't take anything to serious. I will raise a stink to the high heavens though! I just wanna make sure that I'm not going to walk into the dealership & hear "oh that's normal routine"!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'd be bitchin!

·
Lifetime Member
2,485 Posts
Nope, that much definitely isn't normal... I think the dealership does some kind of test to determine if the oil burning is excessive. My 08 uses almost none if it's kept below 5000 RPM. I wish you the best of luck with it and hope the dealer will help you out.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I use some, but not like that. I'd be having a pretty serious conversation with the dealership. Mine didn't even start burning much until 10K miles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the dealership got back with me & asked that I ride alittle longer & monitor the oil consumption. They reasured me that if anything is not right they'll take care of it. I guess what I need to know is what is acceptable. I'm riding at this time 90% on the road. I don't dog it. I don't go over 5000rpms.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
None (or very damn little) would be acceptable. That's such a lame way to throw it back at you. Ride it more when there is obviously a problem. Dealerships. Arg. If you're burning a qt in 300 miles that is a LOT. How much is acceptable? I don't even know if that is an answerable Q. If I have to add a swallow or two at 300 miles I'm OK with that. That's me.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I think Kawasaki's (and other's) standard is that a quart in a thousand is acceptable.

My standard is that I should not have to add oil between oil changes.

That's more like a pint in 2,000.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I think Kawasaki's (and other's) standard is that a quart in a thousand is acceptable.

My standard is that I should not have to add oil between oil changes.

That's more like a pint in 2,000.

T
Yup! Speak brother.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Dealership said that the oil burning might be because the rings haven't seated yet. I'm documenting everything & will be relentless. However I'll give them the beneift of a doubt & folllow their instruction. You work with me & I work with you. If you choose not to then.....well well have to see who has the bigger dog in the fight. I can't really effect Kawasaki but as far as local business I can stir up some shoo shoo!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lockjaw. It would have be a quart in 1200 miles. That's why I wanted to know what is the ideal senario. I'm with ya'll I don't want to replenish everytime I gas up. Maybe add some on the third or fourth.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Quart in 1200 is less crazy, but still steep. Oil should be at the top of the sight glass vertical. In all honesty, my worry would be that my bike was FINE until 10K miles and NOW it burns oil. Yours is a baby...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts