Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
w w w .sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=892

Check out the link for the suit I found. Thought it may help.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
w w w .sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=892

Check out the link for the suit I found. Thought it may help.

Here's the problem, unless you went through a dealer for an oil consumption test/eval how can you prove your case?

The official Kawasaki procedure was to have a dealer fill the crankcase and seal the cap. You would go ride it for X amount of miles and then the dealer would drain the oil and measure. If you used oil at a >amount than 1 qt./1K miles the dealer would be a authorised to rebuild the top end. The industry standard is that <1qt/1K miles is acceptable usage!

From what I've read the rebuilt top end didn't remedy the oil consumption. Only after you arrived at the point would you have a claim I would think.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's the problem, unless you went through a dealer for an oil consumption test/eval how can you prove your case?

The official Kawasaki procedure was to have a dealer fill the crankcase and seal the cap. You would go ride it for X amount of miles and then the dealer would drain the oil and measure. If you used oil at a >amount than 1 qt./1K miles the dealer would be a authorised to rebuild the top end. The industry standard is that <1qt/1K miles is acceptable usage!

From what I've read the rebuilt top end didn't remedy the oil consumption. Only after you arrived at the point would you have a claim I would think.
I think it's different when it's a class action. When it comes to settling, the plaintiffs would get a letter and a check. That's why it's important for everybody who has the issue to get on the list, it gives Kawi more incentive to settle and the money could be used to help offset a 685. There's probably differences for people who had catastrophic failures, versus increased wear, versus out of pocket for additional oil consumed.

lol

In any case, if you're affected, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to sign up.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

In any case, if you're affected, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to sign up.

The lawyers are the only ones who make money in a class action suit!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100% correct. And if there is to be a suit for a neglected fault, it should be for the doohickey. It's the sole reason holding me back from purchasing a KLR. Second to the somewhat common oil burning. I can't get by the gross negligence of Kawasaki who used to be a top tier manufacturer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
But the manufacturers still pay, which gives incentive not to repeat the substandard practices on other customers.

100% correct. And if there is to be a suit for a neglected fault, it should be for the doohickey. It's the sole reason holding me back from purchasing a KLR. Second to the somewhat common oil burning. I can't get by the gross negligence of Kawasaki who used to be a top tier manufacturer.
Let's not get carried away. Kawasaki has never been a 'fit and finish' manufacturer. And the Doo is nothing more than an excuse for people to get together and throw a party, $35 at the door.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
But the manufacturers still pay, which gives incentive not to repeat the substandard practices on other customers.

Let's not get carried away. Kawasaki has never been a 'fit and finish' manufacturer. And the Doo is nothing more than an excuse for people to get together and throw a party, $35 at the door.
There's a sig line if I ever saw one....

·
Registered
522 Posts
The problem I have with a class action suit is that they seem to screw everyone but the lawyers on both sides. If I had an oil burner, I would opt out of the suit, wait for it to be resolved and then use the precedent if Kawasaki was found negligent. I would settle for $500, and simply get the 685 kit, do the work myself, and be done. That would be my preferred resolution. I am no lawyer, and the law is stupidly complex now, so I may be talking out of my rear.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The other side of the coin,jump up,& down everywhere blah,blah ,blah with the class action suit.Who is going to buy a 08 klr? Just about nobody.Now you have a bike that burns oil,and is worth sweet FA.Don't get me wrong,it's a shame they burn oil,but they do thats all there is to it.If you went to a restaurant,and ordered a sh^t roll,you take a bite out of it, spit it out.Get the waitress over cry like a baby to her,then get her to replace your sh^t roll with a new one.It's still going to taste like sh^t.I have a 09 it burns oil,i know a guy with a 010 it burns oil.The only way your going to fix it, is with non Kawasaki parts.Would i buy a new Kawasaki NO the way they have treated their customers is wrong.What i will buy in the future,is some very cheap low mileage ng klrs.Bring them home put a new piston in them.Then ride the wheels off them.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Most every bike has an Achilles heel.

I had a DRZ before the KLR the OEM auto cam chain tensioner is a know problem, people replace it with a manual one. Also the countershaft sprocket works loose and causes the seal to leak.

KTM 990s are know to go through water pumps fairly regularly. Honda XR 650s loose thermostats, right footpegs snap off...

Google any bike and the known problems it has.

Don't let the KLR doo scare you off it's an easy and cheap fix. It's about the only reliability problem the KLR has. New models burn oil but keep an eye on it and it's not a problem. My 08 is about to turn over 40 K miles and has burned a bit over 3 gallons, that's about $30.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most every bike has an Achilles heel.

I had a DRZ before the KLR the OEM auto cam chain tensioner is a know problem, people replace it with a manual one. Also the countershaft sprocket works loose and causes the seal to leak.

KTM 990s are know to go through water pumps fairly regularly. Honda XR 650s loose thermostats, right footpegs snap off...

Google any bike and the known problems it has.

Don't let the KLR doo scare you off it's an easy and cheap fix. It's about the only reliability problem the KLR has. New models burn oil but keep an eye on it and it's not a problem. My 08 is about to turn over 40 K miles and has burned a bit over 3 gallons, that's about $30.
That is a complete uneducated cop-out people give on other forums too who blindly follow and accept a manufacturers incompetence. It's called dissonance, or trying to make yourself feel better after buying a product. And no, other models regardless of brand don't have the significant, numerous, embarrassing faults to the extent of the KLR for as LONG as the KLR. Google that.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That is a complete uneducated cop-out people give on other forums too who blindly follow and accept a manufacturers incompetence. It's called dissonance, or trying to make yourself feel better after buying a product. And no, other models regardless of brand don't have the significant, numerous, embarrassing faults to the extent of the KLR for as LONG as the KLR. Google that.

Sheesh taking it kinda personal aren't you?

Actually I'm a fairly vocal critic of Kawasaki for the oil burning, no excuse for that. The balancer system is what it is, it would take a complete re-design to eleminate the tensioner aka Doo. So you can deal with it for about $50 or you can let it go, plenty of KLRs running the stock doo and spring.

How about detailing the significant, numerous, embarrassing faults of the KLR? I'm not aware of any in particular especially systemic in nature but it's probably because I'm unedumcated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
no such thing as perfection

if it / anything is man made it will have a failure at some point
people are not perfect ... that is a beautiful thing

should the failure be overly chronic or cause injury then maybe a law suit can be taken
thing with oil consumption is it could easily be pilot error ... one over rev during break in could be the culprit. wrong oil, improper warm up etc.

bikes tend to wear out quicker then autos due to their light weight and higher power ratios
personal safety dictates that bikes require more maintenance

anyone who doesn't understand this should stay off bikes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why not use the oil burning as a buying point? (Am I being cold hearted?) Someone who wants to sell because they dont want the bike burning oil, negotiate the price to the point of being able to purchase the oversized kit. Both parties are happy. The seller should get in on the class action suit, get their settlement to offset the loss. Then sell, or, do the upgrade. Other then time ( I know, it's priceless), what would the owner be out?

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
I'm with Spec on this one.

Let's face it. The KLR is a cheap bike. Let me exaggerate a bit.

You can walk out the door with a brand new shiny one for $6000. For $1500 you can fix anything and everything that we bitch about and have some money left over for some farkles.

For that exaggerated amount you get a bike that is as reliable as any bike can be. Probably more reliable than a BMW or KTM, which start at $9K and (holy mother of pearl!) $15K. More roadworthy than either a DR or XR (both of which are gonna need some infusion of cash and neither of which have the level of aftermarket support the KLR does). (OK, both the BMW and the KTM might be faster... but I'm just sayin')

But wait! There's more!

You get to hang out with as weird a bunch of folk as ever swung a leg over...

T

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape,over a few bucks of oil.Heaps of motorbikes burn oil,the klr is not the only bike ever made that burns oil.No other riders cry,and bitch about it like klr riders do.They just top their bikes up with gas,and oil,and ride them.It's not even like you can't fix it,if it gets you that wound up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
just for comparison, I know a Chevrolet mechanic who told me that a brand new Corvette can burn 1 qt within 1k miles, and that is within acceptable limits. And that is a 40k-50k automobile. If a KLR burns 1qt per oil change, so what? Keep a qt in a small tailbag, and deal with it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape,over a few bucks of oil.Heaps of motorbikes burn oil,the klr is not the only bike ever made that burns oil.No other riders cry,and bitch about it like klr riders do.They just top their bikes up with gas,and oil,and ride them.It's not even like you can't fix it,if it gets you that wound up.

Peter in this hemisphere we put spaces after punctuation marks, makes it easier to read!

:28:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts