Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rode home on a new 2016. The manual lists the oil capacity as 1.9L or 2.0 qts when filter not removed. 2.0L or 2.1 qts if filter removed. What changed? My old 08 stated 2.5L on the case and that is what I always put in it. I'm confused.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wondered that too. I just recently changed the oil and filter on my 15' and it took more than the manual stated. I believe close to 2.5 quarts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wondered that too. I just recently changed the oil and filter on my 15' and it took more than the manual stated. I believe close to 2.5 quarts.
Yeeeeah when I changed my 11 a few weeks ago it looked like it needed to be at 2.5 or so... It was over filled. Wound up taking some out. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Changed oil on my 14 a few weeks back, 2.5 quarts was too much had to drain some, I run it just below the top line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
You have the Briggs engine. Different specs.

Seriously I use three qts/litres which leaves a little for a top-off after
1,000 mi/ 1400 km.

Don't forget to use Castrotellamobilshellkawasakipennzamsoilquaker or similar oil.

CheapAndJustTopItOff

·
Registered
914 Posts
Maybe a "quart" is not a "quart" anymore. My Hostess Cupcakes got smaller and cost more :)

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
My Hostess Cupcakes got smaller and cost more :)
Sort of like "Family Size" Potato Chips used to be TWO Pounds for $2.50 USD. Now we are lucky if we get 14.5 ounces for $4.49!
Catch them on Sale For "2 for the Price of ONE"! Oouwhee, still screwed.

Gasoline and engine oils are Cheap, compared to a Lot of stuff!
Especially considering the effort/expense involved.

Back to the subject at hand.
ANYWheres in the window, or Above the window is "safe", with the bike held Vertical on fairly 'Level' ground.

I've ridden for most of a day, with a cracked L.H. flywheel cover, leaking oil. Finally got out of the mountains, to a gas station, filled the fuel tank with gas and the crankcase with oil (about 3/4 qt low, near bottom of window.) and rode the White Elephant home about 250 more miles. (mental note, I still don't have any Epoxy Putty in the tank bag)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I originally thought I put close to 2.5 quarts in, but I just checked the third quart of oil I used and it was only .25 (8oz) empty. So 2.25 quarts total to top of the line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay, so I hear a lot about oil consumption. I have a '14 with 8500 miles, ride it like I stole it and use rotella t5 synthetic. Changed to syn oil right after break-in. I change my oil every 2500 miles. When should I worry about the consumption issue?

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Okay, so I hear a lot about oil consumption.------ When should I worry about the consumption issue?

Always!

Until you prove to yourself otherwise!

That is the reason for "Daily safety Checks" in the owners handbook! You have your life and your bikes life, "in your Hands", do something positive about "it"!
Check your oil every morning, until you feel 'safe' about checking it every other Sunday!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Always!

Until you prove to yourself otherwise!

That is the reason for "Daily safety Checks" in the owners handbook! You have your life and your bikes life, "in your Hands", do something positive about "it"!

Check your oil every morning, until you feel 'safe' about checking it every other Sunday!

Thanks "Captain Obvious", don't assume I'm a new rider and don't have an idea of what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I don't think he is being ugly above just it's something every biker should do as they get to their bike before starting it. IMHO. It's simple, simply get the bike ballanced while holding one grip and bend over and make sure you have the top line covered by oil and as I do it, as it's perfectly ballanced I want to see the air bubble just disappear. No more but do not go by the factory marks as good. yes it will run using them, but you will be running it too close to in the bad side of good...imho. Never over fill it past the final disappearance of that air bubble but also which is worse run it without seeing any oil. If it's not touching the top mark I add oil. BUT I own a well maintained and constantly tornn apart 2004 engine so know it doesn't eat oil.
Just get into the hecking mode before starting it and you'll be good to go. no worries.
:character00201:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do check my bike regularly, it was just a technical question for the masses to see what they had to say. It was "life is in your hands" and the "do something positive about it" shit that hit my nerve. Being that he has worked on motorcycles for his entire life I would have thought that he could have provided a more technical answer instead of what he said. Mine doesn't burn oil, yet, it may never, but I have heard of guys taking trips and burning a quart or more without knowing. Don't know if these where older models, higher mileage, or if kawasaki took care of it since. I've read that guys do the 685 kit and it takes car of the oil consumption issue. My bike may be dirty but it is well maintained by myself and I do all of my own work and know my way around it. Just seemed like a safety lecture for a newbie.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My responce was this way inclined I'm afraid to say as I simply didn't re-read all previous posts, my appologies!.....sorry....I just jumped on the so called band wagon thinking it was the correct responce.....oooops.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Nothing has changed internally to make up this difference as all parts are basically interchangable between the models discussed. So maybe they thought more is now better knowing that they could burn oil.....???? Maybe it's their way of saying they already knew there was going to be an oil burning issue so add more oil....lol. So my last post stilll sort of applies....always do your oil check before starting bike, look for that glimse of an air bubble and go without fear of it running out of oil in a tank's distance......hopefully...lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts