Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered:
Why should I worry about having a hot eng. and then let it cool before changing my oil?
Vs:
A normal ride day then let it set overnight and drain to the sump?
Other than a little longer time required for the oil drain to a drip pan, whats the difference if any?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
During an 80* day does that really matter, it is plenty hot when I park the day before?
Of course I have never split a case to see what is actually in there to restrict the oil from draining out of the sump.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
If you don't change your oil when it's hot, you deprive yourself of the experience of burning your fingers with a hot drain plug and dropping it into your drain pan from which you later have to fish it out of the hot oil, again burning your fingers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
By changing hot, oil will come out faster (as previously stated) flushing out more solids that are in crankcase instead of them settling after it cools off. Also what planalp said. LOL

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've always done hot, up until recently. I find that I actually get more oil out of the bikes when I drain it cold, and the oil seems to stay cleaner, longer after a cold oil change.

Practical reasoning says it should be best to change it hot while any particulates are still in suspension in the oil.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've been changing oil for almost 50 years...I have concluded that working on a cold engine, whatever the task, is preferable to working on a hot engine.

Common sense aside, I'd be curious to know of any scientific studies showing to what degree, if any, changing the oil on a hot engine actually prolongs its life. I'm sure it's more efficient at draining, but I am unconvinced that it offers a tangibile benefit to most of us bike owners.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
With my last two changes, I just fire it up in the driveway and let it run for about five minutes until it's "warm" but not "hot," but I really don't think it matters that much. Even if I change my oil piping hot right after a long ride and let it drain for half an hour until absolutely no more oil drips out, as soon as I put the new oil (and filter) in it, start it and ride five miles, the oil in the sight glass looks just like it did before I changed it, anyway.

I may be wrong, but doubt an engine that's always been drained hot will last any longer than one that's always been drained cold. I agree with clogan.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
With my last two changes, I just fire it up in the driveway and let it run for about five minutes until it's "warm" but not "hot," but I really don't think it matters that much. Even if I change my oil piping hot right after a long ride and let it drain for half an hour until absolutely no more oil drips out, as soon as I put the new oil (and filter) in it, start it and ride five miles, the oil in the sight glass looks just like it did before I changed it, anyway.

I may be wrong, but doubt an engine that's always been drained hot will last any longer than one that's always been drained cold. I agree with clogan.

I do the same, start the bike and let it warm up for about 5 minutes. My theory is that the contaminants are suspended in the oil and more likely to get drained out. I don't think that the warm oil drains that much faster then cold at reasonable ambient vs. viscosity ratios from my unscientific observations!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it was warm b4 it drained to the sump.
Now after being drained cold with a new
filter installed and topped off with new oil,
after one pass thru the new filter it should be clean again.
Wondering:
What is the normal HF filter life span ? They are cheap so
I switch at every change anyway but 1500mi is a short oil
interval, how does it compare to "normal" filter life?

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you don't change your oil when it's hot, you deprive yourself of the experience of burning your fingers with a hot drain plug and dropping it into your drain pan from which you later have to fish it out of the hot oil, again burning your fingers.
lol. Been there. Done that. And not just once. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
lol. Been there. Done that. And not just once. :)
I like my fingers deep fried...

I had one of the dual layer, store your oil in here oil pans. Something like this:

Oil plug slipped out of my fingers into the oil pan, and almost immediately found it's way into the hole that allows the oil to drain into the bottom. I was (and pretty much still am) sure that the oil capacity in the top part is less than the 4.5 quarts that my Concours holds, so hand in the oil to pull the drain plug out. Yeah, the oil was good and hot, but you can bet I had a new drain pan long before the next change!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I like my fingers deep fried...

I had one of the dual layer, store your oil in here oil pans. Something like this:

Oil plug slipped out of my fingers into the oil pan, and almost immediately found it's way into the hole that allows the oil to drain into the bottom. I was (and pretty much still am) sure that the oil capacity in the top part is less than the 4.5 quarts that my Concours holds, so hand in the oil to pull the drain plug out. Yeah, the oil was good and hot, but you can bet I had a new drain pan long before the next change!
I have that exact pan. You have to be careful otherwise it'll overflow specifically if you don't open the vent.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Man, you guys are fancy! I use one of these:

A shop in town has one of those heaters/furnaces that runs on used motor oil. I just take it up there and dump it in their tank. It's pretty handy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since Olden Days it's been ... what's that phrase corporate genius's use now?... oh ya "best practice" - to drain oil from a warm to hot engine that has just been shut down to help remove suspended solids like clutch wear particles from a KLR's engine/transmission assembly. I do that, then let the bike stand overnight for a good drain & so the oil filter assy cools off etc. I don't change oil when it has to be a big hurry. I use the time to look at the used oil and filter to see if anything looks unusual, see what's on the magnetic plug etc.

The overnight wait allows the drain oil to cool off so you can fish the plug out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I too am of the belief that draining the oil after heating up the engine will help rid the motor of suspended metal particles in the oil that normally would have been sitting in the nooks and crannys of the engine.

But, there is something memorable about piping hot oil running down your for arm as you unscrew the plug.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts