Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my KLR, but I hate the oil consumption. I currently have a 2009, which I learned after purchasing consume lots of oil. Do they still have that problem on the 2015's?

·
Registered
241 Posts
From what I understand it was a 08-09 problem.
I have a 11 with 20k, no problems and I run it over 5000 rpms all the time for many miles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
At highway speeds, I was having to add oil to my '09 every 75 miles. Finally bit the bullet, and installed a 685 kit. Just now got it all back together. Started it up today for first time. Runs good, but won't idle. Think my throttle linkage needs tightening up from when I removed the carb.

Anyhow, I'm hoping my '09's heavy oil use is over and done. If not, I'll be trading. Either a NE KLR, or something else.

Good luck if you go with a 2015.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 2008 doesn't use a drop around home keeping the rpm below 5000 but on my 400 mile Romney trip the thing used a little over a half a qt.I have the 685 kit already just have to put it in.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
At highway speeds, I was having to add oil to my '09 every 75 miles. Finally bit the bullet, and installed a 685 kit. Just now got it all back together. Started it up today for first time. Runs good, but won't idle. Think my throttle linkage needs tightening up from when I removed the carb.

Anyhow, I'm hoping my '09's heavy oil use is over and done. If not, I'll be trading. Either a NE KLR, or something else.

Good luck if you go with a 2015.
clogan,
Did you purchase your bike New?
Adding oil every 75 miles makes me question your bikes air filter service history! "Foam air filter must be Thoroughly re-oiled after cleaning".

As to, "won't idle", did you not clean the pilot jet and the rest of the carb internals before re-assembly? If not, you need to do so, or do it again. Sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts