Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced any oil consumption issues? I own a 07,which I drive fairly hard on and off road , the bike does not smoke or leak,but does use oil,more so during highway use.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the KLR consumes that oil and they have no idea why? They said it is normal for that bike to do that. Mine is brand new and I have only 160 miles on mine. Time will tell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an '89 and have never noticed any oil consumption. I pretty much get out what I put in/ have never had to add between changes. Then again, I only have 10,000 miles on mine.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
My '02 has used oil since I bought it at 1600 miles.. With mine, it depends on how hard I'm running it, with high speed interstate riding using the most..

If I run really hard, it'll chew up to a half quart in 1000 miles.. I know it's going to do this, and if I'm on a long haul ride, I just carry an extra quart with me.. Checking level is easy, and as DX mentioned, I'd rather have it burn some than leak it..

Some use oil.. Mine does.. Oh well.. On the other hand, it starts when I push the button and has never given me any reason to question it's reliability as a motorcycle. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
PCV Valve Mod

Since I am still sorta new to this bike I am going to ask this question anyway. Has anyone performed this modification to an 08 model?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't have an 08 but since the engine is basically the same. There shouldn't be a difference and it won't hurt the engine. I ran this mod by my ace mechanic friend (ASE Master mechanic/Smog licensed/Race car builder) and he approved it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The latest issue of a recent motorcycle magazine (Motorcycle Consumer News?)) discusses the high oil throughput when the new KLR is run at highway speeds. Kawasaki is aware of this and has told dealers and owners to expect losing about a quart of oil every 800 miles or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts