Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil drain plug was stripped on my 08 klr 650. I read around on the forum and ordered a M12-1.50 oversized magnetic drain plug from cgenterprises. Well first off the drain plug is alittle more than a 1/4" longer than the stock drain plug. Will this be a problem, as long as nothing will hit it i should be good. I looked up there with a light and all looked well but im not a 100% sure. Second i guess i must of cracked the crankcase when installing the oversized drain plug ( even though i thought i did it right, wrench it in alittle than back off and clean any shavings intill it was all the way threaded in). Its a small hairline crack above the oil drain opening and it appears to leak slightly out of it. My 3rd problem is i think the plug might leak alittle as well, i even put alittle rtv around the washer but im not sure because the crack leaks and drips down off the plug. It seems to leak about a drop every 20-25 minutes when oil is warm and about 1 drop an hour when oil is cold. Should i even be worryed and how should a repair that hairline crack ( welding, apoxy, rtv ). Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Nice effort, cspaur!

You've staunched the flow to where the drip is more of an annoyance, than a catastrophic threat. Keeping an eye on the oil level, and a drip pan in the garage can keep you on the road.

(I assume you used a new crush washer and the leak is still present.)

If the case is cracked, chances are it cracked when the original plug was stripped, not upon insertion of the oversize plug, IMHO, because the slightly oversize diameter and self-tapping tapered threads aren't likely to split the hole. Then again, a pre-existing casting flaw may be there.

Next step? Might be able to drill-and-tap to a slightly larger size, although there's not much "meat" around the hole. Alternatively, cleaning up the area and J-B Weld (may need some release agent on the plug) could save the day.

Inserts (e.g., Timeserts or Helicoil, etc.) offer a permanent repair.

A rider I know cracked his case (Generation 2) and had it welded successfully; I'd imagine a shop that knows what it's doing could fix your bike similarly.

Best of luck, whatever additional solution you may seek; please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a thought--how much for a new oil sump pan? Just replace the old one and be as good as new.

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
I'll make my usual recommendation of trying some JB Weld, first. What have you got to lose? As Damocles noted, don't "weld" the plug itself in place or get the stuff on the drain plug threads with the plug out. I would imagine some kind of grease or even Vaseline would serve as a release agent, anything to keep the JB Weld from sticking where you don't want it to stick.

I'd say it's a good sign your drip rates are so low and it won't take much to fill whatever gap is causing the seepage. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
No Good

I feel your pain Cody. I had a problem like that just last year. I took a hit on the drainplug from a big rock and cracked my case at the drain plug. Long story short if the case is cracked the over sized drain plug is just going to open that crack up when tightened down. You have some uptions as far as Keenzerts or Time-serts and JB weld but success is a role of the dice. Those are solid wall inserts that will resist the spreading force when tightened. As far as the welding that can be a role of the dice also. I pulled my motor and took it to a guy that was good with Aluminum. Long story short he got my crack welded up all pretty. However because of the heat the cases now leak oil right next to where the crack was....I just cant win....Cases can be found for 150/200 bucks on e-bay, thats the route I will be going after this rididng season. My bike still drips a little oil but not enough that I have to add. If you can do that kind of labor yourself I think its the way, It is for me. Best of luck Cody

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

My 3rd problem is i think the plug might leak alittle as well, i even put alittle rtv around the washer but im not sure because the crack leaks and drips down off the plug. It seems to leak about a drop every 20-25 minutes when oil is warm and about 1 drop an hour when oil is cold. Should i even be worryed and how should a repair that hairline crack ( welding, apoxy, rtv ). Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Cody

Hey just park next to a Harley, who's gonna know you left the drips! :55:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts