Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First filter change for me. 21K on recently acquired Bike. Oil changed frequently by previous owner.
Oil Filter Cover does NOT want to pop off. What's the trick?

·
Registered
576 Posts
First filter change for me. 21K on recently acquired Bike. Oil changed frequently by previous owner.
There is an o-ring that holds the cover in place.

You have been warned - the cover can break easily - tread lightly.

There are three tabs - two for bolts and one that helps you open it up. Use a flat head to pry these tabs.

Work slowly, pry with screwdriver, rotate.

I find that the first removal of a new o-ring is much harder to get off.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

I rotate the cover back and forth until it loosens up. Be carefully if you pry with anything metal you can damage the sealing surface.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I wiggled, tugged, pried.............then gave up and reinserted screws. No oil lost.
Will tried again tomorrow.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've found the best is twisting back and forth gently with your fingers on the two screw tabs works best for me. Just takes time and patience.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Spec was right, twist brother.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I saw this procedure on ADV (have not tried it yet)
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18321967&postcount=1637

For easy removal, BEFORE any oil is drained, LOOSEN oil filter cover bolts about 1-1/2 to 2 turns:

Start the engine, and IMMEDIATELY kill it.

Oil pressure will force the oil filter cover outward for easy grasp and removal after bolts are removed:

Fear no oil leak when the oil filter cover is pushed slightly outward; the O-ring seals adequately 'til the cover is withdrawn from its recess in the case cover.

Oh, yes--do NOT throw away the oil tube and relief valve with the old oil filter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts