Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st Post

Is there an online site that carries this part? Does anyone have the part number of the mounting pin?

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dualie. You got two of our best people helping you! :WellDone: Where are you from?..... Sorry, I see it now.!!
Regards....justjeff

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
-5 points.

I have a used one!

$50 shipped.

T

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Just curious, Dualie . . . what happened to the previous oil tube/bypass valve?

Did someone . . . jettison the tube along with an old filter?

Otherwise . . . I don't personally think running without the tube causes serious harm, with fresh, clean oil . . . the oil won't be filtered, in that configuration, but . . . Honda has manufactured small engines for years without disposable oil filters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious, Dualie . . . what happened to the previous oil tube/bypass valve?

Did someone . . . jettison the tube along with an old filter?

Otherwise . . . I don't personally think running without the tube causes serious harm, with fresh, clean oil . . . the oil won't be filtered, in that configuration, but . . . Honda has manufactured small engines for years without disposable oil filters.
I'm not sure if I mistakenly through it out with the last filter change. I did take the bike to a dealer and had the coolant flushed along with a valve adjustment between oil changes. That was the only service a shop ever did to this bike, but I'm not throwing them under the bus. I have forgotten things before. But I always put the old filter into the new filter box and I would think the pin would have prevented me from closing the box lid.

I did notice the radiator fan seemed to cycle on sooner that what I remember, but I can't remember if it started right after my previous oil change. I'm curious to see if the fan cycle on is less frequent when I install the part again.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
Sorry Tom. You loose all your points for the blatant price gouging in your last post.:46:
Regards.... judgejeff

B-b-b-b-but I included the shipping! Absolutely free! That's gotta be worth 46 cents!

T

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I did notice the radiator fan seemed to cycle on sooner that what I remember, but I can't remember if it started right after my previous oil change. I'm curious to see if the fan cycle on is less frequent when I install the part again.
The oil tube should have no consequence to the KLR650's cooling system and fan cycle, IMHO.

The thermal switch in the bottom of the radiator knows only to turn the fan on around 200 degrees F., and to turn the fan off, below around 190 degrees F.

The oil might flow a little easier through the engine WITHOUT the tube, since no filtration is possible with that configuration, but--influence on cooling? Doubt any measurable amount.

Differing opinions welcomed and respected!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did the fan switch test as stated in the Clymer manual and mine is closing at 210F and opening at 206F. Your probably right about the oil piston valve not affecting the fan switch. Just seems the fan was coming on sooner than before. Actually the fan isn't coming on soon enough according to my testing. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Sorry Tom. You loose all your points for the blatant price gouging in your last post.:46:
Regards.... judgejeff

Yea not like it's ammo or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I did the fan switch test as stated in the Clymer manual and mine is closing at 210F and opening at 206F. Your probably right about the oil piston valve not affecting the fan switch. Just seems the fan was coming on sooner than before. Actually the fan isn't coming on soon enough according to my testing. Thanks for the insight.
Your temps are identical to the temps I found on my 2003.
Regards....justjeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts