Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the newbie question (I'm learning 馃憤) but noticed this at the end of my exhaust today and it wasnt there before so dont know if this is an issue or just usual build up.
It's a thick sticky oil like substance not really sure what but figured I'd post and see what you guys say

20200910_084007.jpg

Premium Member
I think you are worrying about nothing.

If you use carb cleaner and compressed air to clean & dry that seam and then apply a thin bead of Clear RTV silicone sealant and squeeze it down into the groove and allow to cure before use, it should keep the exterior of end cap clean.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are worrying about nothing.

If you use carb cleaner and compressed air to clean & dry that seam and then apply a thin bead of Clear RTV silicone sealant and squeeze it down into the groove and allow to cure before use, it should keep the exterior of end cap clean.
I figured I was worrying about nothing too but just wanted to make sure
And thanks I will clean it up and possibly seal it

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
How much oil does your bike burn?
Honestly I don't know yet I've had it about 10 days and one tank of fuel so far the oil is still at the top of the viewing area with about a 32nd of an inch space that I can see almost seems to full to me

Premium Member
Honestly I don't know yet I've had it about 10 days and one tank of fuel so far the oil is still at the top of the viewing area with about a 32nd of an inch space that I can see almost seems to full to me
And you are checking the oil level with the bike Off of the side stand, level in both directions. That is not Too Full.
It is Perfectly Safe.

I usually add oil when at about 1/2 a window.

Registered
It doesn鈥檛 sound like it鈥檚 an oil burner (like mine) so it shouldn鈥檛 be oil that鈥檚 leaking out of the exhaust. Maybe condensation? Maybe coming from somewhere else? Maybe previous owner鈥檚 sealer breaking down? Go for a long hot ride and see if it all evaporates or burns off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
And you are checking the oil level with the bike Off of the side stand, level in both directions. That is not Too Full.
It is Perfectly Safe.

I usually add oil when at about 1/2 a window.
Yep checking this way! 馃憤 sounds good and if she is an oil burner I'll probably follow that protocol on filling at 1/2 window

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn鈥檛 sound like it鈥檚 an oil burner (like mine) so it shouldn鈥檛 be oil that鈥檚 leaking out of the exhaust. Maybe condensation? Maybe coming from somewhere else? Maybe previous owner鈥檚 sealer breaking down? Go for a long hot ride and see if it all evaporates or burns off.
Yea I'm thinking one of these or I do remember the previous owner say he put some sort of "cleaner" in the gas tank dont know if it could be that. But I'm gonna get her warmed up clean her off and see how quick it comes back and then post again on here

Premium Member
All riveted or screwed together aftermarket mufflers will leak at the joints & seams if not Sealed with RTV.
The OEM mufflers use gaskets at joints & weld the end caps on.

Registered
I agree with PD. The stuff is clearly coming out of gaps caused by what appears to be flat spots in that cap on the end of the muffler. I would say that the stuff is a build up of whatever would be found in the exhaust of a healthy bike

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the reply! I will clean her up and squeeze some RTV in to seal up. I'll post back here at the end of the season to let y'all know how it worked

1 - 15 of 15 Posts